Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » New 3Pi build
Re: New 3Pi build [message #86737 is a reply to message #86096] Tue, 12 December 2017 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tubemax is currently offline  tubemax
Baron
Thanks Wayne, It is actually all fake vinyl wrap in different darker colors to hide imperfections, for the time being it's OK.

BTW, do you have any suggestion how to attach a π logo on to the grills?
I didn't made final logo yet, just a printed π logo on plain paper for the test but it's very ugly, I'll need to work around this detail later on...

Idea was to place a logo on the front baffle but once you put the grills on, almost nothing is visible anymore due to dark color of the speaker cloth.
Re: New 3Pi build [message #86742 is a reply to message #86737] Wed, 13 December 2017 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I usually put the logo on the wood underneath the grilles. But then again, I usually leave the grilles off.

Re: New 3Pi build [message #86743 is a reply to message #86736] Wed, 13 December 2017 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron
Yes, they look very nice. Lots of good work here.
Re: New 3Pi build [message #86793 is a reply to message #86096] Sat, 16 December 2017 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Ok, they are finally finished!!! Laughing

It took me good 3 months, but it was priceless experience & education on building speaker cabinets, they are now connected in my system for initial brake-in.
I'll won't go into the details about the sound at this time as I want them to brake-in fully, it would be too early to judge them now on their sound signature...

Still I can't ignore the fact that they are already producing extremely nice sound with full scale dynamics and life-size performers in your room...

I'm so happy with finally having big sounding monitors which are not flattering signal in any way, no thumping bloated bass or scorching highs to impress you in the showroom - non of this.

Instead, they portray life size images of performers without any fuss about or any lack of headroom with crystal clear, high definition sound coming from the H290C horn + B&C250 driver... really impressive smooth performance!

I will come later during the brake-in period and give my full review of this fine sounding speaker system, bloody good work Wayne!

Thanks to everybody in showing interest in my build, I will try to make better pictures during day light as this ones are rubbish!

Ready for glass wool installation...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2026&private=0

Damping fitted...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2027&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2028&private=0

Drivers mounted!

index.php?t=getfile&id=2029&private=0

And standing on its feet...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2030&private=0

Re: New 3Pi build [message #86794 is a reply to message #86096] Sat, 16 December 2017 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Peek at the back side... I also installed parallel speakon connector...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2031&private=0

First listen in my system... Razz

index.php?t=getfile&id=2032&private=0

Left speaker and...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2033&private=0

Right speaker...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2034&private=0

That's all for now folks... till next time Very Happy

Re: New 3Pi build [message #86797 is a reply to message #86794] Sun, 17 December 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Fabulous!

Now your hour hard work pays off!

Re: New 3Pi build [message #86900 is a reply to message #86096] Thu, 28 December 2017 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hi everybody, I'm back as promised with updated review...

Well after two weeks of playing ( about 60-70 hours of break-in time ), there are significant positive changes in the sound. Woofer is going deeper and stronger, easily reaching 30-35 Hz in-room response, while compression driver smooth-out fully. Pi3's are finally playing nice from low, mid to high SPL and are sufficiently broken-in to assess their sound.

They truly portray large and wide sound with precision, depth, outstanding detail recovery, warm tonality and great dynamics. Guitars and vocals sound big and realistic while amplified instruments like bass guitar have real weight and is delight to listen on good recordings.

As a side effect, badly compressed music, badly mastered or any mistakes in production ( too much or too little bass, hot top end, etc... ) will be glaringly obvious - thanks to very detailed but smooth presentation of the this fine sounding horn speaker.

With modern Jazz recordings, ( like FourPlay, Chuck Loeb, Lee Ritenour, Joyce Cooling etc... ) they excel in great tonality, musicality, timing, slam and fun factor without even breaking a sweat.
Classical recording are something special as you really feel the live performance, presence, dynamics and sheer size of the venue it's been recorded. Even multitude amount of instruments simultaneously playing is not a difficult task for them.

With older Rock and Pop music it's a mixed feeling as every CD sound different - thanks to the producers who used way too much compression, reverb or other effects which are easily detectable with H290C Horn and B&C DE250 driver.

There is also a down point to this fine sounding speakers... ( and it's not their sound )...

Physically, Pi 3's are quite large speakers, way wider than any standard speaker I know, almost like a pair of monoliths in your room, which reflects in negative WAF factor in our small living room. Their sheer size and appearance has not won any awards in spite of good looking cabinets - in contrary - only critics and constant hammering why I ever built so big speakers in our small room!
Wish I had a separate man-cave room for myself only!

Actually, it boiled down to the point that I have to move or sell the speakers or...
I really didn't see this coming... it feels like a cold shower and it basically means that I have to sell speakers whether complete or in the parts or face never ending discussion!!! Mad

Please don't understand this as that is something wrong with their sound, it's a pure bad luck that I need to live with it...

As I'm not going to advertise, If anybody has any interest, please e-mail me on my private e-mail address by clicking on my name... in the mean time I can take a closer look at the One Pi's as a new alternative...

I wish good luck to everybody and Happy New Year to you All!

Front row naked...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2037&private=0

Left speaker...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2038&private=0

and Right speaker...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2039&private=0

• Attachment: Front view.jpg
    (Size: 437.57KB, Downloaded 2006 times)
  • Attachment: Left.jpg
    (Size: 474.99KB, Downloaded 1942 times)
  • Attachment: Right.jpg
    (Size: 439.87KB, Downloaded 2045 times)
Re: New 3Pi build [message #86910 is a reply to message #86096] Sat, 30 December 2017 18:19 Go to previous message
Baron
Hi Everybody,

Now that they are 100% finished, just a few more pictures in the winter day-light before they are gone...

index.php?t=getfile&id=2040&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2041&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2042&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2043&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=2044&private=0

Previous Topic: 2pi bass reflex as central channel?
Next Topic: 12pi Subwoofers (x2) for sale $700 each ($1,400 pair)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:11:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio