Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Room treatment for dummies
Room treatment for dummies [message #86668] Mon, 27 November 2017 09:25 Go to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I'm just wondering, do I need to have room treatment for best quality of sound? Are all rooms subject to the same rule that there can always be improvements to be had?
Re: Room treatment for dummies [message #86677 is a reply to message #86668] Wed, 29 November 2017 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I think all untreated rooms can be improved upon.

I was looking at a job at a church last month.
Inside, at the rear of the church up on a balcony, there was a nice choir section (and an organ).

Its dimension were about 20' high, 30' wide, 25' long.
When I looked up at the sheet rock ceiling (cathedral), my first instinct was to clap my hands lol.

Even at this size, including being open (at the front) to the rest of the church, you could still hear a terrible echo.

In fact, the echo sounded worse than the clap did.
It made me wonder how the choir could even hear themselves.

I'm guessing panel absorbers at the ceiling would do wonders to that choir section.

Re: Room treatment for dummies [message #86687 is a reply to message #86668] Fri, 01 December 2017 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
What does that mean for us tech-challenged people? Does it mean that we have to consult with experts before buying any audio equipment?
Re: Room treatment for dummies [message #86691 is a reply to message #86668] Fri, 01 December 2017 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I don't think so.

The choir section I described was completely empty, except for a few folding metal chairs.

Even in most home settings, there is usually some type of sofa or coach for sitting, and often padding and carpet on the floors, also window drapes or curtains.

All these things can act as broadband absorbers.

Yes if the floors are bare I do think that a panel absorber or two on the ceiling can really help.

Re: Room treatment for dummies [message #86698 is a reply to message #86668] Sun, 03 December 2017 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
Oh, OK. That makes sense. Thank you for explaining that in detail. I am new to all this, and as much as I love good sound, I've never had to create the conditions myself...
Re: Room treatment for dummies [message #86724 is a reply to message #86668] Sun, 10 December 2017 16:20 Go to previous message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
I've never really had a good ear for sound. Most times I'll be convinced that my system sounds great only to have a friend come over and show me that it could sound so much better. I guess the same could be said for my rooms. The main ones could probably do with some kind of treatment to enhance sound.
Previous Topic: Finding best sound system for high ceilings
Next Topic: Commonly used acoustic treatments that don't work!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 20:30:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio