Home » Audio » General » Independent or Chain Retailers?
Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86455] Wed, 01 November 2017 12:11 Go to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
Do you prefer to buy your audio goods from chain retailers or independent stores? I like to support my community and use local businesses when I can, but a lot of the ones around me just don't have anything close to the variety of the larger chains.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86473 is a reply to message #86455] Fri, 03 November 2017 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
I realize I left out the option of buying online. Do you prefer that over visiting somewhere in person? I can't imagine why someone would, but I'm interested to hear why someone might.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86475 is a reply to message #86455] Fri, 03 November 2017 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I choose not to specific in such instances. Going to a store seems like the more natural thing to do when looking to buy audio goods. I remember a friend that once bought a 300W home theater system online but when it was dispatched, it really fell short of his expectations.

If I have to purchase anything online, then it has to be something that I have researched well about and/or sampled. You can't afford to go wrong here.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86479 is a reply to message #86455] Fri, 03 November 2017 18:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ziggy is currently offline  Ziggy
Chancellor
If you go to the retail location, most of them will allow you to play your own music to test the system so you can see if you can get the effect you want. Other than that, I like to shop online.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86480 is a reply to message #86455] Fri, 03 November 2017 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I like the brick and mortar places myself. I like to see, touch, look in depth at the systems that I am going to spend my hard earned money on.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86550 is a reply to message #86455] Wed, 15 November 2017 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I've bought headphones online but that's about it as far as any audio needs are concerned. I prefer going in person and getting my hands on things. I've known people who have had good experiences buying online...but I also know people who haven't.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #86703 is a reply to message #86455] Sun, 03 December 2017 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I agree that it is a good thing to support your local economy when possible, however, with price differentiations with chains usually being lower, if price is a big consideration, chains are usually cheaper.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #92883 is a reply to message #86455] Wed, 30 December 2020 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PinkHair is currently offline  PinkHair
Chancellor
I prefer to go to a small local store first, chain stores second, and lastly, online. I've found that some of the local stores will price match. I want to support local businesses, especially during the pandemic! I also like being able to touch and look at an item before I buy it.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #92917 is a reply to message #86455] Tue, 05 January 2021 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mica is currently offline  Mica
Viscount
I buy some online and other stuff at the big box stores. We don't have any small local theater or audio stores around here. I wish we did because I would support them.
Re: Independent or Chain Retailers? [message #92983 is a reply to message #92917] Wed, 20 January 2021 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
KalebTheAudioGuy is currently offline  KalebTheAudioGuy
Baron
Mica wrote on Tue, 05 January 2021 19:39
I buy some online and other stuff at the big box stores. We don't have any small local theater or audio stores around here. I wish we did because I would support them.
I'm in a similar situation. I much prefer to spend my money at small businesses than at a national chain. I do avoid huge online retailors, like Amazon, if I can help it.
Previous Topic: Listening To Nature's Music
Next Topic: Music In Your Dreams?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:57:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout