Home » Audio » General » Small rooms are harder to get good sound?
Small rooms are harder to get good sound? [message #86509] Thu, 09 November 2017 09:24 Go to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I was reading somewhere that small rooms are much harder to get the speakers set in the correct place for optimum sound. Is that really true?
Re: Small rooms are harder to get good sound? [message #86510 is a reply to message #86509] Thu, 09 November 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, small rooms have more problematic room modes than large rooms.

The larger the room, the further away the reflections are. This is good both for delay and intensity.

Rooms that are very large act more like an anechoic (reflection free) environment.

Re: Small rooms are harder to get good sound? [message #86626 is a reply to message #86509] Wed, 22 November 2017 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
That's very counter-intuitive. I'm sure I'm not the only one who assumed that the smaller the room, the easier it is to get good sound! Guess you never stop learning.
Re: Small rooms are harder to get good sound? [message #86627 is a reply to message #86510] Wed, 22 November 2017 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Very good information. Never thought about it like that. Smaller would have more problems with the closer reflections. I'm happy someone brought this up. Now I know.
Re: Small rooms are harder to get good sound? [message #86689 is a reply to message #86509] Fri, 01 December 2017 14:18 Go to previous message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I'm very surprised to hear that, but quite pleased to have learned something new, too. I am one of those people who always assumed that the smaller the room, the easier it was to get the right quality sound.
Previous Topic: Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear
Next Topic: Wireless earbuds that stay put while at the gym?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:53:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio