Home » Audio » General » First big audio purchase?
First big audio purchase? [message #86652] Sun, 26 November 2017 15:57 Go to next message
funkymusic is currently offline  funkymusic
Baron
I have yet to drop a significant amount of money on any single audio purchase but I'm finally in a position where I can do so without breaking the bank. I'm curious what your first major purchase was or what you think are the things you should really invest in in order to have a good set-up? The obvious answer seems to be speakers, but I'm curious if anyone thinks otherwise or if anyone started with something else.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86661 is a reply to message #86652] Mon, 27 November 2017 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I started with a good television. I recently bought a 65 inch Sony Bravia and both the picture and audio are sharp. It was worth every penny. I think my old iPod was the first big audio purchase I made which was several years ago. That counts, right?
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86669 is a reply to message #86661] Mon, 27 November 2017 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
For strickly speaking audio....probably what gear you are going to use as a source component. Since most folks like digital...I would go for something that will stream digital web music and store it internally. I would want it to also be a headphone amp so I can listen to the music. They now make preamplifiers and receivers that do this. Alternatively if you have a source...(tablet, phone etc) then an integrated receiver might be my choice. Either with or without built in digital abilities. Speakers would likely have to be bought at the same time. Money spent on good speakers is IMO always well spent as they will usually outlast everything else and make a huge difference in how something sounds. Elac makes some that are generally suitable for new modest systems the B5 and B6 are over achievers and not very costly. Parts Express has some under their own brand (Dayton) that seem to be good buys as well. used ones are iffy if you don't know what you are buying and really what their condition is. I personally like them, but then I can (and have) fixed several in the past.

It really is tough to know where to start as pretty much any one component will not be able to work without other ones.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86672 is a reply to message #86652] Tue, 28 November 2017 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
That's quite a detailed answer. I'm glad to hear that you also think new speakers are the way to go. I found that out the hard way. I spent a lot of my hard-earned money on used speakers, and now I regret it. I should have just paid a bit more for new ones, and I wouldn't be having the issues I'm having with them right now.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86681 is a reply to message #86669] Thu, 30 November 2017 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Wow, Bruce! What a great answer. I like the fact that you went into that much detail to help this person. I'm afraid that I will never put that much money into a system that I didn't build myself. Audiophiles rock!
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86682 is a reply to message #86681] Thu, 30 November 2017 15:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
FWIW, I design and build all my gear. Everything from new plinths and tone arms on turntables to the tube amps that drive the speakers that I rebuilt. It is enjoyable and the end product is exactly what I wanted.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86812 is a reply to message #86652] Sun, 17 December 2017 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funkymusic is currently offline  funkymusic
Baron
Bruce, that was the best answer ever. Thank you so much for going into so much detail! Thank you to everyone else as well. You've all given me a lot to think about.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #86896 is a reply to message #86652] Thu, 28 December 2017 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
It's not my first night purchase, but it's certainly going to be my next big one! I'm seriously thinking about getting myself a new system for the new year.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #87071 is a reply to message #86652] Thu, 18 January 2018 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lohan is currently offline  Lohan
Chancellor
What an interesting thread. It's of particular value to me right now seeing as I am actually in the process of making my very first big purchase. I'm here to find out as much as I can about how to go about getting the best sound system I can afford.
Re: First big audio purchase? [message #87080 is a reply to message #86652] Thu, 18 January 2018 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
Welcome, Lohan. Don't worry, you'll soon know everything you need to know to make the right decision when purchasing your first system. What an exciting time this must be for you! I know it certainly was for me.
Previous Topic: Lossless audio and streaming services
Next Topic: MP3 player for older people ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:53:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio