Home » Audio » General » Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear
Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear [message #86644] Sat, 25 November 2017 16:20 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Psychoacoustics is where the sound is adjusted by the engineer for the individual listener's preference. Since most listeners prefer adjustments outside of the neutral curve, does that eliminate the need for the curve?
Re: Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear [message #86645 is a reply to message #86644] Sat, 25 November 2017 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's more to psychoacoustics than just the response curve. I think that's one of the more important features though - Consider the Fletcher / Munson loudness curve, for example.

There are also aspects of sound that are measureable but inaudible. Look at phase, for example. Phase shifts are measureable but not audible unless they create an anomaly in the frequency domain. And certain kinds of distortion are much less audible than others too.

Psychoacoustics deals with a lot of aspects. The bottom line is we're trying to create the most natural impression of reality, and to do that, it's important to know what matters most.

Re: Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear [message #86657 is a reply to message #86644] Sun, 26 November 2017 19:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
Thanks for that in-depth explanation. I wondered if there were some engineers around this forum that could really give a good explanation of this. Thanks.
Re: Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear [message #86660 is a reply to message #86644] Mon, 27 November 2017 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
What a great explanation, Wayne. I hadn't thought of it on so many levels but you're absolutely right. I need to do some more research about this to fully understand all of its complexities.
Re: Psychoacoustics: Science of How We Hear [message #86688 is a reply to message #86644] Fri, 01 December 2017 14:13 Go to previous message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
This is the first time I'm coming across this word, but having looked it up, I now understand a little more about psychoacoustics. It makes sense that if sound is vibration, then we'd all have different perceptions of it. Thanks for explaining it.
Previous Topic: Is it easy to learn the acoustic?
Next Topic: Small rooms are harder to get good sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:04:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio