Home » Audio » Home Theater » Placement of the speakers
Placement of the speakers [message #86040] Mon, 04 September 2017 09:48 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
The surround speaker is always close to the TV, but at a position that is not too close to the floor. As for the bass and low frequency speakers, I make sure that they are not too close to the corners or walls. What are some of your tips for optimized sound from the speakers?
Re: Placement of the speakers [message #86046 is a reply to message #86040] Mon, 04 September 2017 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Left and right mains should flank the video screen, and be at the same vertical height as the screen. The center channel should be centered and at the same height as the screen. That's only possible of the screen is acoustically transparent, so some people use a wide but short speaker placed below the screen. I would personally not do this, because it is a highly compromised configuration - you can't make a good speaker that way - so I'd rather have a phantom center using constant directivity left/right mains towed-in to cross axes in front of the listening area.

Surrounds should be placed slightly above ear level at the sides of the listening area. Rear surrounds, if used, should be placed behind the listeners and to each side. They should be at the same height as the left/right surrounds.

Use multiple subwoofers rather than a single sub. I like to use a pair of flanking subs and a pair of distributed multisubs. What that means is to put a subwoofer slightly beside, behind and below each of the mains, and send it an 80Hz to 100Hz second-order low-passed signal of the main speaker it is flanking. Then put two subs far from the mains, back by the the surrounds. The signal can be from the LFE channel or a signal derived from all channels summed and fourth-order low-passed between 50Hz and 80Hz.

Re: Placement of the speakers [message #86503 is a reply to message #86040] Wed, 08 November 2017 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
This is just the information I was looking for...where to place my home theater speakers. I have been having problems with the sounds not exactly sounding the way I want. I make some of these moves to improve it. Thanks.
Re: Placement of the speakers [message #86543 is a reply to message #86040] Tue, 14 November 2017 12:52 Go to previous message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
Sounds like some really great advice on placement. I always knew that if you want the surround sound to work as it was meant to, you needed to be careful with the placement. Thanks.
Previous Topic: The subwoofer volume and crossover
Next Topic: Budget home theater system
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:23:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout