Home » Audio » Speaker » Size of the speakers
Size of the speakers [message #86409] Sat, 28 October 2017 06:44 Go to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Does this ever matter really? I always go for a portable size but I have this friend that is obsessed with big speakers. He is always concerned with the kind of statement anything he purchases, makes.
Re: Size of the speakers [message #86412 is a reply to message #86409] Sat, 28 October 2017 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The size of the speaker matters with respect to efficiency and/or bass extension. When designing a speaker, you can choose to optimize any two of three variables: 1 - Small size, 2 - Bass extension and 3 - Efficiency. This is called "Hoffman's Iron Law."

Want small size and deep bass extension? No problem but you must sacrifice efficiency. If you want high efficiency and deep bass extension, then you'll need a big box. Need high efficiency from a small speaker? You better use subs because you can't make it go too low. These relationships are quantified in the Thiele and Small formulae that describe loudspeaker parameters.

Size also has an effect on directivity, meaning the projection of the sound in a particular direction. A small speaker tends to radiate omnidirectionally where a larger speaker will project the sound forward. The larger the speaker, the lower the frequency where omnidirectionality will set in.

Re: Size of the speakers [message #86415 is a reply to message #86409] Sun, 29 October 2017 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I had no idea that the size of speakers mattered this much. Not that I have anything against the large speakers but is there any chance that technology that will find a way of combining all these components in small speakers? I'm sure this would appeal to a lot of folks.
Re: Size of the speakers [message #86418 is a reply to message #86415] Sun, 29 October 2017 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's no way to change the traits I describes since they are fundamental physics. But you can mitigate the problems in other ways. One example is to increase power for speakers with low efficiency. That's been a trend for decades. And it makes sense - If the speaker is 10dB less efficient, then drive it with 10x more power. But you do run into trouble at some point because inefficient speakers tend to run into compression at lower volume levels and lack dynamic range. They can only get so loud no matter how much power you throw at them. The reason for this is low-efficiency speakers turn more electrical energy into heat instead of motion and sound.

Re: Size of the speakers [message #86419 is a reply to message #86418] Sun, 29 October 2017 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ziggy is currently offline  Ziggy
Chancellor
That was a great explanation, Wayne. It took me a while to come to the realization that size does matter, at least in speakers. Thanks for the easy explanation!
Re: Size of the speakers [message #86447 is a reply to message #86419] Tue, 31 October 2017 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Anything smaller than 15 inches for a bass driver and a 7 cubic foot box to go with is not for me. Very Happy Naturally I would say that as mine are like that. But such as they are they are extremely efficient and I can easily get to obnoxious sound levels with just 5 watts. But as Wayne has said the laws of physics will not be denied. Box size, speaker efficiency and low frequency response are all inter related. For fun reading read up on Thiel and Small parameters in their early works on low frequency response. The math is not complicated and the explanations pretty good. Yes you can pump in more power to overcome the size/low frequency restrictions, but at some point the speaker turns into a heat lamp. Watts are watts and in speakers that are low efficiency much of the input power turns into heat.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Size of the speakers [message #86555 is a reply to message #86409] Wed, 15 November 2017 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mandy is currently offline  Mandy
Esquire
No, definitely not. In my opinion, the smaller the better. Some like the vibrations that come from speakers though, and you need a big one for it to create vibrations. However, I usually listen to peaceful music and not rock 'n roll, so I don't really need a big one.
Re: Size of the speakers [message #86577 is a reply to message #86409] Fri, 17 November 2017 11:08 Go to previous message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I'm a minimalist by nature, and whenever I buy stuff I always try to make sure that it's the 'least' I can get. I would want the smallest speakers possible but I also want them to give me the best sound possible.
Previous Topic: Best headset for music?
Next Topic: Does speaker shape affect quality of sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:15:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio