Home » Audio » Home Theater » How much space?
How much space? [message #86370] Sun, 22 October 2017 23:07 Go to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
How much space does the average home theater setup take up? Do you mount your speakers? Do you have a projector? My house just has limited space but I've always dreamed of having one of those awesome setups. All the ones I've seen though take up quite a bit of space.
Re: How much space? [message #86371 is a reply to message #86370] Mon, 23 October 2017 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You know, it depends on what you want and what you buy.

Some people get a "home theater in a box" and it's basically five dinky speakers and a lethargic subwoofer powered by a little bitty amplifier. All that stuff is small and takes up less practically no space. Of course, it's uninvolving and sounds absolutely terrible.

For me, the sound is very important, so I place a high value on quality gear. The system and all its components are large. It requires specific placement. The room setup and furniture placement is largely driven by where the speakers go. And the amps and media players sit on a rack, which isn't small either.

So size and cost depend on how important it is to you. If you want a convincing illusion of reality, then you'll make it a priority.

Re: How much space? [message #86374 is a reply to message #86370] Tue, 24 October 2017 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I totally agree with Wayne that it has all to do with preference. My friend went for a system with four tall speakers but even with the little space he had, he still managed to correctly place every component.
Re: How much space? [message #86379 is a reply to message #86370] Tue, 24 October 2017 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Yep, they are correct. I started out with a home theater in a box type. I found that I hated it. I actually gave it away to a friend. I now have much better system and I'm totally happy with the sound.
Re: How much space? [message #86396 is a reply to message #86370] Thu, 26 October 2017 20:23 Go to previous message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
Wayne, you really know how to paint those "home theaters in a box" in a positive light, don't you? Don't worry, that was never a temptation for me.

Mamoss, that's good to hear. I suppose I'll have to start taking some measurements and see how much space I really have to utilize and see what i can find.

GoldenOldie, what kind of setup did you end up getting?

Previous Topic: Used home theater
Next Topic: The subwoofer volume and crossover
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 12:34:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout