Home » Audio » General » The "New" Audiophiles
The "New" Audiophiles [message #86314] Thu, 12 October 2017 12:54 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I read an article by a man that has spent his life gathering outstanding audio equipment from his youth to now. He has 3 kids and they all had rather have a laptop. He was so disheartened. Convenience and mobility are taking the lead now. How is this effecting your purchases?
Re: The "New" Audiophiles [message #86316 is a reply to message #86314] Thu, 12 October 2017 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have a substantial amount of gear and LPs, CDs and tapes. When our children were here they listened to it and enjoyed it. All are gone now and I still enjoy my things. It is true that many of the younger set would rather have their music in other forms and that doesn't bother me. The gear is only the means not the "message". The fact that they like music is what is significant. I consider the trend in ever higher quality digital music and better players as a good thing. It entices more people to want to listen. While my system is entirely tube based and would be considered old time (it is not as I design and half own a company that sells the gear) I admit to having digital gear. I use a high end PC for music editing and a laptop and portable player that get use when I am away from my system. So, while what the "youngsters" are doing is different, I feel it is positive in nature.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The "New" Audiophiles [message #86321 is a reply to message #86314] Fri, 13 October 2017 15:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

In my experience, people that enjoy fine quality sound come in all ages, races, genders, etc. I think "audiophiles" tend to be a little more male gender biased, but I think that's mostly because women aren't usually as interested in "gadgets" as men are. I think women enjoy high-quality sound as much as men, and I think they are capable of telling the difference between "good sound" and "bad sound."

I think the only real difference that age makes is younger people usually don't have the earning capacity, so they have less ability to buy high-end gear. When men get into their earning years, they are able to get the really good stuff, mostly just 'cause they can afford it. But I don't think younger audiophiles are less quality-conscious, they just don't have the disposable income.

Re: The "New" Audiophiles [message #86322 is a reply to message #86321] Sat, 14 October 2017 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 13 October 2017 15:31

I don't think younger audiophiles are less quality-conscious, they just don't have the disposable income.

That is an interesting point Wayne. It seems as though all the different choices we have now has somehow pushed up the price of "retro" gear.

Perhaps if someone could mass produce a product that looks retro yet acts modern, the prices would be comparable to the new fangled methods. Thus, giving the younger generation an affordable alternative.
Re: The "New" Audiophiles [message #86328 is a reply to message #86322] Sun, 15 October 2017 10:28 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

"Audiophile" equipment is not really about looks. It's not "retro." It's about sound quality.

One of the ways companies have brought high quality products at low cost is by making kits available. This has been true for decades and it's still true today.

Previous Topic: Unique ways of improving sound
Next Topic: Do people still "burn in" their equipment?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 04:23:04 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio