Home » Audio » Radio » Is Sirius Worth It?
Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86212] Thu, 28 September 2017 11:45 Go to next message
Frankie is currently offline  Frankie
Chancellor
With smartphones that can stream just about anything and cars with built-in wifi, are satellite radio subscriptions still worth the money? The wifi in my car isn't great so that can be annoying at times and I only use the free versions of Pandora and Spotify. I don't really feel like I'm missing out but my friends still swear by Sirius. What do you think?
Re: Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86213 is a reply to message #86212] Thu, 28 September 2017 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Well, I think subscription radio is still worth the money to those who like the idea. I mostly stream the free versions and I'd only pay to get to hear something unique that cannot be gotten elsewhere.
Re: Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86226 is a reply to message #86213] Sun, 01 October 2017 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I like it and the unit is portable...it migrates between the house and car. I like it because it is commercial free and if there is a station or type of music you like (there are many to choose from)it will not fade out on you as you drive long distances. The fidelity is sufficient for non-critical listening but not really hi-fi. Then too my main stereo is not portable. Shocked

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86234 is a reply to message #86212] Sun, 01 October 2017 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I had no idea that apart from choosing what you like, it is commercial free in addition to the convenience that portability offers. How much does this roughly cost? It is definitely worth the money.
Re: Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86241 is a reply to message #86234] Mon, 02 October 2017 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I pay by the year and it is about $200. You need to either have the XM/Sirus capability built in (many new cars do) or get the receiver and stuff to go with. It is often on the web pretty cheaply. I use Delphi gear. It has a car bracket, home stand, an ice cube sized magnetic antenna (with 30 foot cable) for the car and a similar one for the house. The house unit uses a wall wart and the car a 12v connector. It has a wireless remote as well. There is also a fully protable "boom box" that I have but usually don't take anywhere. The cost of everything can get a bit much, but with careful searching it should not be too bad. Skip the boom box. Used good condition gear is fairly common.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Is Sirius Worth It? [message #86284 is a reply to message #86212] Thu, 05 October 2017 10:39 Go to previous message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
With Wi-Fi you are limited by coverage area. That's not really the case with satellite radio. If you drive a lot of long distances by yourself, I would certainly look into it. It would be worth the money I think.
Previous Topic: Ground loop isolator
Next Topic: Subscription Radio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:48:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout