Home » Audio » General » Ground Loop Noise
Ground Loop Noise [message #86230] Sun, 01 October 2017 18:49 Go to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I was told that the hum I get from my speakers sometimes is probably ground loop distortion. I understand that it means when your ground is coming from two different sources and they conflict. Is that about right?
Re: Ground Loop Noise [message #86231 is a reply to message #86230] Sun, 01 October 2017 21:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, that's right. Connect all equipment to the same wall socket. Also, if you have cable TV, install an isolator. It can be as simple as connecting a 75Ω-to-300Ω adapter followed immediately by a 300Ω-to-75Ω adapter. This will isolate the cable ground using a pair of antenna line matching transformers.

Re: Ground Loop Noise [message #86244 is a reply to message #86231] Mon, 02 October 2017 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi to follow on with what Wayne said...I had a serious hum and noise problem when I attached the CATV cable to an FW tuner I was using. When I measured it the open circuit (measured with a high impedance meter) voltage was just over 30VAC. The current was small, but it really upset the ground. I ended up switching to an antenna.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ground Loop Noise [message #86246 is a reply to message #86231] Tue, 03 October 2017 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
I've always known that a ground loop results when pieces of equipment are plugged into the AC at different locations, then connected together by signal cables that have a shielding connected to the ground. I think both Wayne and gofar have offered great solutions.
Re: Ground Loop Noise [message #86280 is a reply to message #86230] Wed, 04 October 2017 19:11 Go to previous message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
This helps bunches guys. I knew that the occasional hum I get when I run a couple of my components had something to do with the ground. Now I can attack this problem and get it fixed once and for all. Thanks.
Previous Topic: New & interesting tech on the horizon
Next Topic: CD Players That Skip
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:30:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout