Home » Audio » Home Theater » Floor-standing speakers
Floor-standing speakers [message #86251] Tue, 03 October 2017 10:08 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
A colleague at work told me that he decided to mount his speakers somewhere near the ceiling. I suspect that he's lost the powerful surround effect that's normally associated with floor-standing speakers. Is there a chance that this has happened?
Re: Floor-standing speakers [message #86258 is a reply to message #86251] Tue, 03 October 2017 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Surrounds can be mounted up high, but I wouldn't install mains there. I'd prefer the mains to be around the same height as the screen.

Acoustically, boundary loading is a potential issue but the ceiling is a boundary just like the floor is. So boundary conditions would be similar when close to the ceiling as they are when close to the floor.

The issue to me is more one of maintaining the illusion of reality. We don't expect things to look like they're in front of us but sound like they're above us. That makes the sight and sound not match. Again, this isn't so much the case with surrounds as it is with mains. Surrounds are usually placed above the listeners and the soundtrack associated is designed for this position.

Re: Floor-standing speakers [message #86263 is a reply to message #86258] Wed, 04 October 2017 04:47 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Tue, 03 October 2017 14:22

Surrounds can be mounted up high, but I wouldn't install mains there. I'd prefer the mains to be around the same height as the screen.

The issue to me is more one of maintaining the illusion of reality. We don't expect things to look like they're in front of us but sound like they're above us. That makes the sight and sound not match. Again, this isn't so much the case with surrounds as it is with mains. Surrounds are usually placed above the listeners and the soundtrack associated is designed for this position.

We've had this argument over and over with a friend of mine who insists on having the speakers on the same level as the mains. I prefer to have my speakers slightly above the ground, but at a realistic height. They are less likely to encounter any faults. The mains are always near the screen.
Previous Topic: HDMI surge protectors
Next Topic: What matters most to you?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:57:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout