Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Necessary skills
Necessary skills [message #86035] Mon, 04 September 2017 02:09 Go to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I know a few guys who never went to school to learn about assembling parts but they do a good job on their own. With their exception, what skills are necessary in this respect?
Re: Necessary skills [message #86119 is a reply to message #86035] Thu, 14 September 2017 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I think building and fixing require a great deal of innate talent. Other than that, a person needs steady hands and a desire to learn how things work. I have a buddy that can just look at something and fix it. Whereas I need every manual, youtube video, and forum to get me through.
Re: Necessary skills [message #86124 is a reply to message #86119] Fri, 15 September 2017 21:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, A steady hand, the right tools, patience. A good general understanding of how things work. A clear idea of the what the thing you are trying to design, build or fix and what all its components do and how they interact. Technical information like schematics is easy to find on the web now so you only need to be able to read and understand them. Some background knowledge is quite helpful. Math through algebra I find invaluable. Anything above that I let the PC do.

A willingness to try things....the worst that can usually happen is it won't work.

And yeah I'm one of those guys that can look at something and understand how it works Rolling Eyes . .....and what can go wrong with it. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Necessary skills [message #86198 is a reply to message #86035] Wed, 27 September 2017 08:56 Go to previous message
Nouri is currently offline  Nouri
Master
I have a loose wire in a headlamp assembly on my car. Eventually, I am going to have to replace it.

I remember when I was younger I would do this to speaker wires when our cat decided that wires tasted good.

The skill needed to fix that part of a car can also be used here for audio work.

So next time you find yourself wondering if you can do a specific task on a stereo, ask yourself if you have done comparable work on something else.

Chances are you have.
Previous Topic: A complete DIY book
Next Topic: Grab An Old Receiver From Goodwill
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:12:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers