Home » Audio » Radio » Emergency Radios
Emergency Radios [message #86184] Sat, 23 September 2017 15:27 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
All these disasters have me on edge. The only way to deal with it is to be prepared. I looked up reviews and bought a Red Cross emergency radio. Unfortunately, it arrived broken, so I'm sending it back. I don't want another one, since it doesn't feel reliable now. What emergency radio do you recommend? It needs to find NOAA quickly and I prefer waterproof or at least water resistant. I also need it to handcrank/have solar capabilities. Just something more than batteries. It should have a headphone jack as well, which seems to be missing from most emergency radios that I find.
Re: Emergency Radios [message #86185 is a reply to message #86184] Sat, 23 September 2017 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Most retailers that carry electronics have emergency radios like you've described. Check out a few stores until you find one that you like.

Re: Emergency Radios [message #86186 is a reply to message #86185] Sat, 23 September 2017 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Depending on your budget a hand held digital scanner can do what you want. The one I have is not water proof, and is rechargeable (I have a solar charger). It is a vintage Radio Shack one that is programmable for 10 channels. What I like is that it is far more sensitive than the typical "emergency" radio. Used ones ought to go for nearly nothing.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Emergency Radios [message #86204 is a reply to message #86186] Thu, 28 September 2017 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
I've looked around at Best Buy, Walmart, and Target and haven't found one. I'm guessing I'm not the only person who got spooked by the recent hurricanes and thought to gather supplies just to be prepared. I'm going to some outdoor gear stores this weekend like REI and I bet I'll find something there.

gofar99 wrote on Sat, 23 September 2017 17:04
Hi Depending on your budget a hand held digital scanner can do what you want. The one I have is not water proof, and is rechargeable (I have a solar charger). It is a vintage Radio Shack one that is programmable for 10 channels. What I like is that it is far more sensitive than the typical "emergency" radio. Used ones ought to go for nearly nothing.

I miss Radio Shack. Are you talking about a police scanner? If so, I actually have one of those. It was my grandfathers, but it still works.
Re: Emergency Radios [message #86205 is a reply to message #86204] Thu, 28 September 2017 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, That was one of the names they used from time to time for them. Mine is hand held. All you need do is see if it can get the NOAA weather frequencies. Google them and try to set it. If it is one of the really old ones that used crystals I would pass on it and get something newer.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Emergency Radios [message #86245 is a reply to message #86184] Tue, 03 October 2017 03:48 Go to previous message
Master
I bought two at L.L. Bean and the sound is crystal clear and loud. The NOAA alerts come through automatically no matter what else you're listening to. I'm so glad to have this done. Thank you very much for the help.
Previous Topic: Forgotten Radios
Next Topic: Ground loop isolator
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:06:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout