Home » Audio » Pro Sound » The Instrument You Play Without Touching
The Instrument You Play Without Touching [message #86128] Sat, 16 September 2017 10:55 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I hope this is in the right section.

I just stumbled upon something I never knew existed, and thought I would share it here. The Theremin. It is a musical instrument that you play without ever touching it, aside from turning the power on. You can, but it will give you the highest pitch possible. It was invented in 1919 by Russian physicist Leon Theremin, and some people say it acts more futuristic than the newest model cell phone on the market.

This is kind of a tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJACNHHuGp0

As you can hear, many people will think it is best used for sound effects. But there are other video's out there where people are playing songs like Over The Rainbow on the Theremin, with a piano accompaniment, that sounds very good.

Personally, I'm fascinated.

Re: The Instrument You Play Without Touching [message #86130 is a reply to message #86128] Sat, 16 September 2017 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, Theremins are cool. We had a thread here a while back about strange instruments, and of course the Theremin was one of them.

The Armonica is another strange instrument that sounds cool. Not as modern, but just as ethereal sounding.

Re: The Instrument You Play Without Touching [message #86181 is a reply to message #86128] Sat, 23 September 2017 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charlie82 is currently offline  Charlie82
Baron
I've never heard of a Theremin before. Thanks for introducing me. It's a very cool instrument and seems much too futuristic for something made in 1919. It's almost like the Wii of musical instruments. I will have to check out the Armonica as well.
Re: The Instrument You Play Without Touching [message #86183 is a reply to message #86128] Sat, 23 September 2017 12:42 Go to previous message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Wow, I never had an idea any such thing existed. It looks to me like something that aids in composition, rather than an instrument per se. This also looks like an 'instrument' that requires perfection, even when learning to play it.
Previous Topic: Sound System for a School Auditorium
Next Topic: Has anyone here ever used AVS Sound Editor?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:34:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio