Home » Audio » Radio » Car radio reception
Car radio reception [message #86107] Wed, 13 September 2017 13:53 Go to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Lately, my car hasn't been picking up signals well. I have checked and ensured that all connections are okay. It isn't the factory radio though. Is there a signal booster for this purpose?
Re: Car radio reception [message #86109 is a reply to message #86107] Wed, 13 September 2017 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, you can buy antenna boosters. But if something has changed, I'd look into that first. Sounds like something has begun to fail. Get that fixed or replaced first. Then look at buying and RF amplifier to boost the antenna if you still want better reception.

Re: Car radio reception [message #86116 is a reply to message #86107] Thu, 14 September 2017 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
My daughter uses an antenna booster but I'm unsure as to the brand. It seems to work really well because her radio is on full blast in her car all the time. You can hear her coming!
Re: Car radio reception [message #86121 is a reply to message #86116] Fri, 15 September 2017 09:55 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You might be talking about a "power booster" in the form of a power amplifier. They're pretty popular, in that the head unit in the dash is probably capable of 10 watts to 25 watts, so some people use an external power amplifier capable of 50 watts to 250 watts, something like that. This is what would make the sound louder.

An antenna booster is solely for bringing in weak stations. It won't make the music content louder, it will make a distant station sound clearer. If you can barely receive the signal and it fades in and out, then an antenna booster might help.

Previous Topic: Small, Out Of The Way Stations
Next Topic: Forgotten Radios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:45:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout