Home » xyzzy » Tower » Device for self-correction on tempo?
Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86004] Thu, 31 August 2017 08:26 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
My two daughters enjoy playing various musical instruments. We have a metronome to help them keep tempo, and of course they've been taught the age old method of tapping your foot to help keep pace. However, my youngest daughter still struggles. She tends to play too fast and the metronome isn't helping her. Is there a device that gives immediate feedback when you're off tempo? Maybe it changes color, or blinks, or beeps, or vibrates. Just anything that allows for self-correction will be great. I'm not trying to raise a classical pianist the likes of Mozart, but she asked me to help and I'm not finding anything online.
Re: Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86043 is a reply to message #86004] Mon, 04 September 2017 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I don't know of a device of that nature, but it sounds like a great idea. I wonder if your daughter might be racing the metronome without even realizing it. I would stop using it and see if that helps. Another solution might be to play the songs with her to help her keep up. Sorry I'm not more help.
Re: Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86055 is a reply to message #86043] Mon, 04 September 2017 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
It makes sense that she could be racing the metronome, or trying to outplay it so to speak. It certainly can't hurt to try playing without the timing aid. Thank you for chiming in.
Re: Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86066 is a reply to message #86004] Tue, 05 September 2017 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
How old is your youngest? It could be that she's still learning and within no time, that struggle will no longer be there. I learned to play the guitar at a young age and I'm certain it took time to perfect everything.
Re: Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86201 is a reply to message #86004] Wed, 27 September 2017 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Madison wrote on Thu, 31 August 2017 08:26
Is there a device that gives immediate feedback when you're off tempo? Maybe it changes color, or blinks, or beeps, or vibrates..........

Or shocks. Like a shock collar that you put on your dog so he or she doesn't stray too far from the yard. Laughing

I'm sorry, but that truly is the first thing I thought of.

Seriously though, it sounds like metronome is a distraction for her. Maybe she's struggling with the tempo because she is distracted by a device meant to help. Some people don't do good with devices like that. I say let her find her own groove. Her own pace and then give her songs to learn based on that.
Re: Device for self-correction on tempo? [message #86262 is a reply to message #86004] Wed, 04 October 2017 04:40 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Well, I remember going off-tempo as a child but I caught up eventually. My mother would help when she could but we were still too young to maintain concentration. I had two older siblings who went on to form a band.
Previous Topic: Software to switch faces
Next Topic: College Scholarship Ideas
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:30:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout