Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » The best listening position
The best listening position [message #85770] Wed, 02 August 2017 23:45 Go to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Which is the best way to determine this? I once came across a suggestion that it is better for the listening position to face the short wall vs the long wall because in this way, a flatter bass response results. What if the room has square walls?
Re: The best listening position [message #85772 is a reply to message #85770] Thu, 03 August 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The best listening position depends on the speaker setup and the room. In my opinion, it's not good enough to have a small "sweet spot." I prefer setups that offer a large area in the room where sound is good.

Study room acoustics. Study loudspeaker directivity. After that, you'll have more information to work with and will be able to know how to setup your room, including where the best places are to sit and listen.

Re: The best listening position [message #85790 is a reply to message #85770] Sat, 05 August 2017 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
Yea, it definitely varies depending on your setup and the size of the room you are in. What you are listening to probably plays a factor too.
Re: The best listening position [message #85820 is a reply to message #85772] Mon, 07 August 2017 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 03 August 2017 10:05

The best listening position depends on the speaker setup and the room. In my opinion, it's not good enough to have a small "sweet spot." I prefer setups that offer a large area in the room where sound is good.

Study room acoustics. Study loudspeaker directivity. After that, you'll have more information to work with and will be able to know how to setup your room, including where the best places are to sit and listen.

I once read that to get the best out of the stereo speakers, the seat should be placed the same distance from the speakers, as they are from each other. The chairs and speakers should (ideally) form an equal-sized triangle. Again, the speakers and seat shouldn't be placed against the wall.
Re: The best listening position [message #85988 is a reply to message #85770] Tue, 29 August 2017 17:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirkman is currently offline  Kirkman
Chancellor
From what I've experienced it's different depending on your brand of speaker, the size, shape, and style of the room, and the set-up you use. I've not invested the time myself to learn the science of it all, but with some trial and error, I've found the best set-up for my latest space.
Re: The best listening position [message #85996 is a reply to message #85988] Wed, 30 August 2017 14:02 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Kirkman wrote on Tue, 29 August 2017 17:55
From what I've experienced it's different depending on your brand of speaker, the size, shape, and style of the room, and the set-up you use. I've not invested the time myself to learn the science of it all, but with some trial and error, I've found the best set-up for my latest space.

The trial-and-error method has worked for me as well in the past. Understanding the science of it all isn't easy and the uniqueness of each system and rooms makes it hard to standardize a 'perfect' listening position.
Previous Topic: Best place to purchase.
Next Topic: The appropriate absorption technology
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 15:53:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout