Home » Audio » Radio » Is digital radio really better?
Is digital radio really better? [message #84813] Sat, 25 March 2017 09:31 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Digital radio (DAB) is the new thing that's replaced FM, and lets you fit more channels into the main band, but is it really an improvement? I've found I have problems getting reception in areas where I never had issues with FM, and the sound quality where I can isn't always as good, which surprised me.
Re: Is digital radio really better? [message #84816 is a reply to message #84813] Sat, 25 March 2017 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, In theory yes. However except for satellite radio it is still subject to the same problems as FM. Limited range mostly. The problem with reception and sound quality is largely one at the receiving end. While broadcasters do not always send out the best quality sound, the quality of what is received is usually limited by the quality of the receiver.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Is digital radio really better? [message #85949 is a reply to message #84816] Fri, 25 August 2017 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I find it overwhelming because there are too many stations to choose from and it's hard to remember which is which. My husband loves it though.
Re: Is digital radio really better? [message #85989 is a reply to message #84813] Wed, 30 August 2017 10:06 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I don't see DAB as an improvement. Cramming more of something into the same space is not "improving" that space. It's just more full of options.
Previous Topic: On the tip of my tongue...
Next Topic: Podcast platforms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:40:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout