Home » Audio » General » Recycling old gear
Recycling old gear [message #85895] Sun, 20 August 2017 11:34 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
This is part two from this thread.
https://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=85520&#msg_85520
I gave the Disney VHS tapes to a teacher and the Habitat for Humanity Store took the remaining tapes and DVDs. But, I still had gear to get rid of that no one wanted, so I hunted down places that would take my items for recycling. Since every area is different, I'm listing the two sites that helped me find where to go.

Earth911.com http://earth911.com/recycling-guide/how-to-recycle-small-electronics/

terracycle.com http://www.terracycle.com/en-US/

Make sure you call ahead before loading up your stuff or you might be disappointed. I kept reading that Home Depot took some of these things, but my local store does not. Other places will only accept items on certain days. Calling ahead saves time and gas.

My old gear is officially gone as of this weekend. I'm relieved to have my basement and attic all cleaned up. I'm glad I kept most of it out of the landfill too.
Re: Recycling old gear [message #85902 is a reply to message #85895] Mon, 21 August 2017 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I agree that you should recycle old gear that is obsolete or not working. As stated, there are many places that will take out-dated equipment, like Goodwill, however, you do need to call first. Some people use the old equipment as repair parts for things they work on. Good luck!
Re: Recycling old gear [message #85914 is a reply to message #85895] Tue, 22 August 2017 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirkman is currently offline  Kirkman
Chancellor
It's awesome that you found a home for your items. I've tried in vain to find a place to take old VHS tapes in my area. The library doesn't even take them anymore.

I've had some decent luck with Freecycle and the free section of Craigslist for re-homing older items and things I can't fix.
Re: Recycling old gear [message #85918 is a reply to message #85895] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lomazert is currently offline  lomazert
Esquire
Well i know it hurts to find all of the old gear and equipment sitting in the corners, and you get to know most of them comes out to be - https://www.icrfq.com/ - electronic jumbled up Very Happy .. That really is a pain but it turns out these can be used to great value.
Re: Recycling old gear [message #85934 is a reply to message #85895] Thu, 24 August 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nigelwright7557 is currently offline  nigelwright7557
Esquire
I have always been a big fan of Fane speakers.
In 1980 I used 4 50WRMS 12 inch speakers on a mobile disco.
They were very loud and served me well.

Since then I have tried other makes but end up back with Fanes.

I recently bought a Fane 1970's 50WRMS 12 inch speaker and put it in a folded horn enclosure. Its sounds excellent.

I just drive it with a PC USB soundcard module and its loud enough for my living room.
Re: Recycling old gear [message #85944 is a reply to message #85934] Fri, 25 August 2017 11:32 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Kirkman, I never even thought to try to offload some of my stuff at the library. That's a good idea that I'm going to tuck away for when I need to clean out my home again.
Previous Topic: Mounting your TV
Next Topic: Stereotyping Music
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:47:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout