Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » The best listening position
The best listening position [message #85770] Wed, 02 August 2017 23:45 Go to next message
bcharlton  is currently offline bcharlton
Viscount
Which is the best way to determine this? I once came across a suggestion that it is better for the listening position to face the short wall vs the long wall because in this way, a flatter bass response results. What if the room has square walls?
Re: The best listening position [message #85772 is a reply to message #85770 ] Thu, 03 August 2017 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham  is currently offline Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The best listening position depends on the speaker setup and the room. In my opinion, it's not good enough to have a small "sweet spot." I prefer setups that offer a large area in the room where sound is good.

Study room acoustics. Study loudspeaker directivity. After that, you'll have more information to work with and will be able to know how to setup your room, including where the best places are to sit and listen.

Re: The best listening position [message #85790 is a reply to message #85770 ] Sat, 05 August 2017 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert  is currently offline Bert
Baron
Yea, it definitely varies depending on your setup and the size of the room you are in. What you are listening to probably plays a factor too.
Re: The best listening position [message #85820 is a reply to message #85772 ] Mon, 07 August 2017 02:10 Go to previous message
drake  is currently offline drake
Master
Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 03 August 2017 10:05

The best listening position depends on the speaker setup and the room. In my opinion, it's not good enough to have a small "sweet spot." I prefer setups that offer a large area in the room where sound is good.

Study room acoustics. Study loudspeaker directivity. After that, you'll have more information to work with and will be able to know how to setup your room, including where the best places are to sit and listen.

I once read that to get the best out of the stereo speakers, the seat should be placed the same distance from the speakers, as they are from each other. The chairs and speakers should (ideally) form an equal-sized triangle. Again, the speakers and seat shouldn't be placed against the wall.
Previous Topic:Foam versus fiberglass
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Aug 19 00:39:24 CDT 2017

Sponsoring Organizations

AudioKinesis
AudioKinesis
BOI Audioworks
BOI Audioworks
BuildAnAmp.com
BuildAnAmp.com
Crescendo Systems
Crescendo Systems