Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » What is the best material for a room devoted to music?
What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #85678] Sun, 23 July 2017 17:40 Go to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I am converting an extra room into a music room and would like the acoustics to be good. What types would be best for the walls and floors? Don't forget ceilings, please.
Re: What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #85702 is a reply to message #85678] Mon, 24 July 2017 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
That's a good question.

I have noticed most recording studios I have seen being built, seem to go straight for the ceiling (unless very tall), as if its the worst offender of unnatural reflections.
I suppose you could call most well designed recording studios a listening room right?

If your ceiling is less than 20' high, you might start there.
Re: What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #85703 is a reply to message #85678] Mon, 24 July 2017 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saxon is currently offline  Saxon
Chancellor
You can buy acoustic wall panels to help with making the acoustics sound better. There are some online for as cheap as $43 if you don't want to spend too much money.
Re: What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #85709 is a reply to message #85678] Mon, 24 July 2017 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Also if you DIY-

You can make some nice broad band absorbers out of Owens Corning 703, covered with a cheap thin material.

Standard size sheets are 2'x4'x whatever thickness you choose.
I believe the most readily available thickness is 2".

I used 2" thick pieces, and it worked well for me.
Re: What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #86050 is a reply to message #85678] Mon, 04 September 2017 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
Thanks everyone for the great information about making my room the best it can be! I will take all of this to heart and really work on making a great sound in there.
Re: What is the best material for a room devoted to music? [message #86060 is a reply to message #85678] Tue, 05 September 2017 01:30 Go to previous message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
My assumption is that you're looking for soundproofing material? I've heard people talk of Mass Loaded Vinyl as a good place to start. Also, there are numerous noise and sound isolation foams to choose from.
Previous Topic: Total Harmonic Distortion
Next Topic: Cheap acoustic treatment
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:28:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout