Home » Audio » General » Stereotyping Music
Stereotyping Music [message #85697] Sun, 23 July 2017 23:16 Go to next message
Saxon is currently offline  Saxon
Chancellor
I think that a lot of people stereotype and judge music just because of there genre and that isn't right. For example, a lot of people love to stereotype rap and metallic music. Has anyone else noticed this?
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85700 is a reply to message #85697] Mon, 24 July 2017 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Yes, I have noticed this.

I am guilty of stereotyping the two genres of music you speak of, but not because I love to.
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85803 is a reply to message #85697] Sun, 06 August 2017 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Well, stereotyping exists everywhere you go and I think it isn't right, in as much as there's nothing much anyone can do. I listen to good music, irrespective of the genre. What's you favorite?
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85919 is a reply to message #85803] Wed, 23 August 2017 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiofiend is currently offline  audiofiend
Esquire
Yes, I believe that people stereotype someone based on the music they listen to, whether its on a conscious or subconscious level.

For example, a person may have a certain opinion about someone who listens to punk rock music, even if the person does not know anything about the other person outside of the music they listen to.
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85926 is a reply to message #85697] Thu, 24 August 2017 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Stereotyping "music" is one thing.

I believe that's the topic of this thread, and that's easy enough to do by watching a typical music video of that genre, for instance.

Stereotyping "people", based on what music they enjoy listening to, is a completely different story, and that is definitely not right from my point of view.

I see that as a basic form of prejudice.
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85956 is a reply to message #85697] Fri, 25 August 2017 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I think that most people have an image in their minds about what a certain type of person that listens to certain genres. For instance, metal listeners tend to look a little grungy, whereas rappers tend to where a lot of jewelry and have grills. If you want to stop someone from pigeon holing you, stop doing the actions that get you put there. Change your look and scare the crap out of them.
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85957 is a reply to message #85956] Fri, 25 August 2017 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I think Golden Oldie is correct. If you are being grouped with certain others just because you look the part, change the way you look! You can still listen to whatever genre floats your boat and really look anyway you want to change opinion.
Re: Stereotyping Music [message #85958 is a reply to message #85697] Fri, 25 August 2017 19:26 Go to previous message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
My daughter sometimes says that she is stereo-typed just because she likes to wear black. I explained to her that for everyone else, that indicates that she is "Goth". If that bothers you, make a change. I don't really know what type of music "Goths" listen to, but she likes hip hop.
Previous Topic: Recycling old gear
Next Topic: Car Audio
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:38:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout