Home » Audio » General » Overrated Brands
Overrated Brands [message #85602] Mon, 10 July 2017 13:17 Go to next message
Caitlan is currently offline  Caitlan
Baron
I think that we all have brands we love, but we also all have brands that we believe are overrated. What brand or brand(s) is that for you?
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85605 is a reply to message #85602] Mon, 10 July 2017 14:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
For me (in audio) it's Bose.
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85608 is a reply to message #85602] Tue, 11 July 2017 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
In the overrated categories, for video, I'm going with GoPro cameras. For audio, I'm going with Beats headphones. Second place would be Apple's EarPods.

Underrated is a tougher category, since the major players just know they're amazing and have hordes of fans who agree. I think Anker's products work well and are affordable. They are the most underappreciated overall.
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85609 is a reply to message #85608] Wed, 12 July 2017 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Madison wrote on Tue, 11 July 2017 21:00
In the overrated categories, for video, I'm going with GoPro cameras. For audio, I'm going with Beats headphones. Second place would be Apple's EarPods.

Underrated is a tougher category, since the major players just know they're amazing and have hordes of fans who agree. I think Anker's products work well and are affordable. They are the most underappreciated overall.

Now that you've mentioned it, I see a lot of Beats headphones around. Could it be that most of these are counterfeit or their capabilities are often blown out of proportion?
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85611 is a reply to message #85602] Wed, 12 July 2017 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
The Bose noise canceling earphones were innovative and exceptional when they first hit the market, but now, you can find ear phones that do the same with a more affordable price tag. However, I still find Bose the most comfortable to wear and they hold up well, so I wouldn't call them overrated.

Bose speakers, on the other hand, are highly overrated. Not much different than any other set.

Any expensive HDMI cable is overrated.

Re: Overrated Brands [message #85613 is a reply to message #85602] Wed, 12 July 2017 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
To me "overrated " means there is a lot of noise generated by advertising and word of mouth for a certain product, yet said product isn't all it was cracked up to be in the end.

I agree that beats headphones are overrated.
They seem like more of an image item, than a quality set of headphones.
Personally, I would never own them, yet my kids had to have them lol.

GoPro cameras are heavily advertised, but I do not understand how they are overrated.

Is there another HD sports camera (motion handling capability) out there that's better overall, for the same cost or less.?

I ask because I've always wanted one lol.
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85634 is a reply to message #85602] Sat, 15 July 2017 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WorkingWoman2017 is currently offline  WorkingWoman2017
Viscount
I'm with you on the Bose speakers. They are priced way to high for the casual user. They do have good sound but as it has been pointed out, not better than others. Bose has tried to set a standard with their product and pricing but is now being out-done by others in the industry.
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85639 is a reply to message #85613] Sun, 16 July 2017 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
johnnycamp5 wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 14:36

GoPro cameras are heavily advertised, but I do not understand how they are overrated.

Is there another HD sports camera (motion handling capability) out there that's better overall, for the same cost or less.?

I ask because I've always wanted one lol.

The GoPro brand has its fans. If you really want one, I say wait til Christmas deals start then go for it.

There are plenty of GoPro versions now, but most are clunky and hard to pack, they aren't intuitive, the touch screen interface takes awhile to react and usually requires multiple taps, the older versions produced shaky videos, and the battery life left a lot to be desired. To me, it's just a one trick pony.

I've never tried either one of these, but from other reviews it looks like the TomTom Bandit is a contender. Olfi is good enough and is affordable, but has a terrible battery life. You can also do a lot of the same tricks with a cell phone or dash cam.

Re: Overrated Brands [message #85641 is a reply to message #85609] Sun, 16 July 2017 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
drake wrote on Wed, 12 July 2017 09:41

Now that you've mentioned it, I see a lot of Beats headphones around. Could it be that most of these are counterfeit or their capabilities are often blown out of proportion?

Often when someone challenges the super special capabilities of those headphones, Beats claims that that the tester had a counterfeit product. I bought two for my kids from Apple and they are legit. The bluetooth version drops the signal all the time and the plain headphones are no better than Skullcandy's in my opinion. And Skullcandy is at a better price point.

I'm loving your thread idea, Caitlan!
Re: Overrated Brands [message #85660 is a reply to message #85602] Wed, 19 July 2017 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I'd like to add two speakers to the overrated list. The Jambox speaker by Jawbone was no different than any other bluetooth speaker, yet it was priced at $100 or more. Another speaker that was overrated was the Beats Pill. It was tiny and so was the sound. It cost more than the Jambox too.

Previous Topic: Favorite Instrument
Next Topic: Should teens be allowed to listen to "hate" music?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:22:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio