Home » Audio » General » Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves
Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85416] Wed, 14 June 2017 14:56 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
My father will be staying with us for a month starting in August. He has terrible hearing and often wants the volume louder than the rest of us can handle. He refuses to get a hearing aid so that's not an option right now. Please suggest some earphones that allow the wearer to turn up the volume for themselves without turning up the volume for everyone else in the room. I hope it exists.
Re: Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85417 is a reply to message #85416] Wed, 14 June 2017 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keven is currently offline  Keven
Baron
Interesting, I have never heard of such an invention. I actually can't think of any solution to this problem, but I hope you do find one.
Re: Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85419 is a reply to message #85417] Wed, 14 June 2017 21:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Check into wireless ones that have a sending unit that attaches to the speaker terminals if you have that type of system. Better ones connect to a line level output that is available on many newer TVs. Many home theater amplifiers as well.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85420 is a reply to message #85416] Thu, 15 June 2017 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
Seems odd to object to a hearing aid if he's willing to use headphones. Does your TV or Hifi have multichannels that allow a speaker to be set at a different volume than headphones, as that might be a quick fix?
Re: Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85425 is a reply to message #85419] Fri, 16 June 2017 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 14 June 2017 21:37
Hi Check into wireless ones that have a sending unit that attaches to the speaker terminals if you have that type of system. Better ones connect to a line level output that is available on many newer TVs. Many home theater amplifiers as well.

My home theater amplifier actually has this option but I've never come across earphones with this capability. I hope you get a solution to this and that your father finally accepts to use a hearing aid.
Re: Headphones that turn up volume for just themseleves [message #85434 is a reply to message #85420] Sat, 17 June 2017 16:52 Go to previous message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Thank you all for the tips! You've given me a lot more to work with than the folks at Best Buy or the search results from google (my fault because I used the wrong key terms).

I considered buying a soundbar, but a personal amp is definitely the more affordable and easier solution. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of that in the first place!

vhfspeeks wrote on Thu, 15 June 2017 09:52
Seems odd to object to a hearing aid if he's willing to use headphones.

Part of his problem is that he can "hear" people and carry on a conversation, but a lot of it is a matter of watching the speaker's mouth, facial expressions, and any hand gestures to piece it all together. Another issue is that he hates the way earbuds feel and believes a hearing aid will be just the same. My father will wear over the ear headphones because our kids will be back in school, so they'll need quite to study and will have an earlier bedtime. My father adores his grandchildren so that was the angle I took.

Previous Topic: Podcasts
Next Topic: Affordable Noise Cancelling Earphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:19:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout