Home » xyzzy » Tower » External harddrive
External harddrive [message #85291] Wed, 31 May 2017 11:27 Go to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
Hey guys. I love keeping lots of movies and music and I find that I end up with tons of memory cards and flash sticks laying all over the house. A friend suggested that I get an external harddrive to keep everything one place. Where can I get one and how does it work?
Re: External harddrive [message #85293 is a reply to message #85291] Wed, 31 May 2017 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi There are a number of ways to do this. You can just get an external backup drive that plugs into the USB port. Ones up to about 2 gig are reasonable in price. My preferred solution is a little different. I got an external hard drive dock (many companies make them and they are often under $25). It plugs into a USB port. This way I can use cheaper regular PC hard drives. The cost per drive is about 1/2 that of the external back up types. This is especially true in the larger drives. Cheap plastic cases are available for them as well. Although a zip bag will do fine and just put them in a safe place when not needed.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: External harddrive [message #85318 is a reply to message #85293] Sat, 03 June 2017 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
gofar99 wrote on Wed, 31 May 2017 17:21
Hi There are a number of ways to do this. You can just get an external backup drive that plugs into the USB port. Ones up to about 2 gig are reasonable in price. My preferred solution is a little different. I got an external hard drive dock (many companies make them and they are often under $25). It plugs into a USB port. This way I can use cheaper regular PC hard drives. The cost per drive is about 1/2 that of the external back up types. This is especially true in the larger drives. Cheap plastic cases are available for them as well. Although a zip bag will do fine and just put them in a safe place when not needed.

A friend in college had this external hard drive dock and it looked more durable. I have a 1 TB external hard drive that works well for me. It also has several documents but I try not to keep a lot of movies that I've watched before.
Re: External harddrive [message #85372 is a reply to message #85318] Tue, 06 June 2017 21:19 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, if you want to go cheap you can use an external drive with nothing more than the right type of cable. SATA3 drives get both signal and power through the cable. External back up drives often use only a SATA2 cable and if you go solid state there are ones of both types (they just cost more).

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Voice Training
Next Topic: Enhancing laptop sound
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:42:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers