Home » Audio » Speaker » Room gain?
Room gain? [message #85269] Mon, 29 May 2017 12:09 Go to next message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
How much of a problem is room gain in a small room with strong subwoofers? A room I was working on just didn't sound right no matter what subwoofer was in, but it looks like the subwoofers I tried might be too powerful for the room's accoustics. Are there any tools to detect or assess problems like this?
Re: Room gain? [message #85276 is a reply to message #85269] Tue, 30 May 2017 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A constrained space will increase SPL by virtue of directivity. But room modes in a small room will cause large deviations in SPL because of room modes. Some places will be very loud and some very soft at a given bass frequency. So the best thing to do is to install multiple subwoofers to smooth the sound field in the modal region.

Re: Room gain? [message #85353 is a reply to message #85269] Mon, 05 June 2017 03:07 Go to previous message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
That makes sense. So smaller and many is the way to go. I just hope I can do this within budget, and I'm very glad I'm within the return-and-exchange period.
Previous Topic: Liquid cleaners
Next Topic: Wearable speakers or headphones?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:42:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio