Home » Audio » General » Headphones that spy on you?
Headphones that spy on you? [message #85206] Sun, 14 May 2017 02:46 Go to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
Just saw a news story from last month where Bose have been accused of harvesting user data and selling it on if you use their free app. They're accused of tracking all the data about what users listen to and link it to their sign-up data to sell it to marketing firms. Isn't this kind of a privacy breach?
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85207 is a reply to message #85206] Sun, 14 May 2017 15:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Old news, They say they don't. But anything connected to the web, anything that works with a cell phone or tablet and anything that can connect to any source is a potential listening device. TVs (via web, cable, blue tooth or WiFi) appliances, pcs, tablets you name it and it can be used. My general feeling is that anyone who thinks they have much in the way of privacy is likely mistaken. About 50 miles off the grid you might be reasonably safe....there are still satellites and drones though. No need to be paranoid that someone might be watching you...because in all likelihood they are.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85209 is a reply to message #85206] Tue, 16 May 2017 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Caitlan is currently offline  Caitlan
Baron
This isn't the first time it's been reported that technology is spying on you. I mean, just the other month their was that whole debate about the government spying through microwaves. Either way, yes it is a breach of privacy.
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85214 is a reply to message #85206] Thu, 18 May 2017 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I stay away from any listening device that connects to the web. On the other hand, which company would even admit to spying on the consumers of its products when speculation alone runs the risk of lower sales afterwards?
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85228 is a reply to message #85206] Mon, 22 May 2017 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
HP just admitted their laptop Conexant sound drivers had a keystroke logger in, so it isn't just the mic spying on you. Your speakers might be too!
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85249 is a reply to message #85206] Thu, 25 May 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
At this rate, there'll be no privacy left. Are there enough grounds to initiate legal action if you're spied on unknowingly? This looks so creepy, if you ask me.
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85254 is a reply to message #85206] Thu, 25 May 2017 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
Does it really matter if they gather harmless information like what you listen to? Maybe I just don't understand, but why is everyone so worried about privacy if they have nothing to hide?
Re: Headphones that spy on you? [message #85257 is a reply to message #85254] Fri, 26 May 2017 07:51 Go to previous message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
Cortney wrote on Thu, 25 May 2017 23:16
Does it really matter if they gather harmless information like what you listen to? Maybe I just don't understand, but why is everyone so worried about privacy if they have nothing to hide?
It was gathering where people physically were using GPS, which has lead to burglaries before. It was also intuiting details e.g. listen to a support group's podcast for a health condition like cancer and it would flag you as a patient so it could market to you and at the same time inform people you probably have it. That's not really harmless.
Previous Topic: Isolation
Next Topic: Making an album
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:11:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout