Home » Audio » General » Will they get cheaper with time?
Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85172] Tue, 09 May 2017 09:21 Go to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Do you suppose that audio equipment will get better and cheaper with time? I see the price of TVs drop after a while but with rising technology, can we really match quality together with cheap cost?
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85177 is a reply to message #85172] Tue, 09 May 2017 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bert is currently offline  Bert
Baron
In all honesty, I think that audio equipment will get higher with time. Technology will become more advanced, and because of that prices will rise.
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85181 is a reply to message #85177] Tue, 09 May 2017 21:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, IMO there will be both a yes and no answer. The yes is that modest gear will get better in performance and either stay the same or go down slightly in price. High end gear will go up. First, new technology almost always has an up front development cost. Second it will initially have low sales. Both of these will tend to drive the cost up. When that gear is no longer the best available the price will drop and the circle will start over with the next great thing. I am actually surprised at how inexpensive a lot of great gear is now. If you figure the quality of it vs what the inflated cost now is compared to stuff from the 70s or so it comes out cheaper. The Marantz amp just above my PC that I'm listening to at the moment (via phono) was $200 in 1969. In today's dollars it would probably be 10 times or more that much in cost, but for performance it can be duplicated for perhaps only $4-500 with modern gear. So while the present costs seem high they really are not. I remember back in 1969 having what I thought was a decent salary of $8500 per year. Now that is far below poverty level. BTW I figure the really inexpensive stuff (as in cheap) now will still be about as cheap and perform in the say way cheap stuff does now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85193 is a reply to message #85172] Thu, 11 May 2017 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
Whenever I'm shopping for audio equipment, my fear has always been whether or not the same item will be relevant after a few years, or whether it will be obosolete. On the other hand, I don't mind going for something pricey, as long as it is worth it.
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85197 is a reply to message #85172] Thu, 11 May 2017 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lily is currently offline  Lily
Chancellor
I think that we will see the prices of most audio equipment falling with the rise in new technology just as it happened with the phones, TVs and computers.
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85198 is a reply to message #85172] Fri, 12 May 2017 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chatzy02 is currently offline  chatzy02
Baron
I believe that it's very likely that we will see a significant drop in the prices of all things electronic as time goes on and cheaper materials are found and technology advances.
Re: Will they get cheaper with time? [message #85237 is a reply to message #85198] Tue, 23 May 2017 06:02 Go to previous message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
I think the price of comparable equipment will drop. You can get the same quality now for much cheaper than it was ten years ago. However new high-end equipment takes its place at the top of the price range, so you still have to pay a lot to get the top new releases.
Previous Topic: Laptop speakers malfunctioning?
Next Topic: Isolation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:26:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout