Home » Audio » Home Theater » Wireless surround
Wireless surround [message #84891] Wed, 05 April 2017 03:58 Go to next message
bcharlton is currently offline  bcharlton
Viscount
I've never been much of a fan of visible speaker wires and that's why I'm considering a wireless surround system. I've heard that you can get good quality and enhanced performance. I wouldn't mind the addition of more clutter including surge protectors or adapters. Right move?
Re: Wireless surround [message #84894 is a reply to message #84891] Wed, 05 April 2017 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've not found a high-quality wireless amplifier. But I'm really picky about amps for my main speakers. I'm talking about an amp from someone like Bruce Heran (OddWatt) or Audio Note.

Having said that, I don't think that quality level is necessary for subs or surrounds. Not that I would go cheapo on the surrounds, but I just don't need the same level as I expect from the mains. A good quality amplifier that has the requisite power ability and that doesn't distort is fine. There are some wireless amps that work well in this regard.

I use a wireless amp from Rocketfish for surrounds on one of my home theater systems, and it has served me well. Kinda funny - It has single-ended triodes driving the mains, and a digital wireless amp on the surrounds. That's 1940s technology up front and 2000s technology in back. What a combination!

Re: Wireless surround [message #84897 is a reply to message #84894] Wed, 05 April 2017 21:21 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, (thanks for the kind words). I have never found a suitable wireless arrangement either. It ought to exist as some sort of digital link, but most seem to use Bluetooth and IMO it is not yet mature enough to do the job to my satisfaction. I am only using stereo for video at present, but when I last did I used 6 of my amps....talk about warm sounds Laughing KT120 amps up front and on the subs and KT88 ones on the rears. Lovely sound and as you might expect lots of it. It was right at the limits of the power my APC power conditioner could handle (15 amps).

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: The bass levels
Next Topic: Poor picture quality
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 22:41:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers