Home » Audio » General » Using your phone
Using your phone [message #82940] Mon, 27 June 2016 01:36 Go to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
A friend of mine once told me that you can use your phone as a remote control for your audio system, laptop or television. Is there an app that enables a person to do this?
Re: Using your phone [message #83017 is a reply to message #82940] Fri, 15 July 2016 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
There are a few different apps out there that allow you to turn your phone into a universal remote, but I think that you need some other Bluetooth-like device to go along with it. I know that these definitely work for TVs and gaming systems, but I'm not sure about home stereo systems.
Re: Using your phone [message #83040 is a reply to message #83017] Sun, 17 July 2016 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Lizah wrote on Fri, 15 July 2016 07:14
There are a few different apps out there that allow you to turn your phone into a universal remote, but I think that you need some other Bluetooth-like device to go along with it. I know that these definitely work for TVs and gaming systems, but I'm not sure about home stereo systems.

Hey Lizah, it looks like something that can easily interfere with the phone's functioning, especially if the phone has a small memory. Can this work on an iPhone?
Re: Using your phone [message #83062 is a reply to message #82940] Thu, 21 July 2016 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
I have heard that it's possible to do with Android, but not with iPhone. Some Android phones have default app inside it which can turn the phone into universal remote without any additional devices. I doubt its reliability, though.
Re: Using your phone [message #83068 is a reply to message #82940] Thu, 21 July 2016 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Yurimi, I almost thought so too. People may look at this as an inconvenience but overall, I think the iPhone still stands in a class of its own.
Re: Using your phone [message #84608 is a reply to message #82940] Sun, 19 February 2017 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Flixe
Chancellor
Yes, a lot of Android devices do have a universal remote feature due to having a built in infrared receiver. I personally have an LG G Flex smartphone and use the LG Smart Remote app to control a lot of my home appliances: televisions, a DVD player, an air conditioner in the summer, and my home stereo system. Most of these apps support hundreds of brands/product so you can configure to your needs. I think it's definitely one great benefit of the Android platform.
Re: Using your phone [message #84611 is a reply to message #84608] Mon, 20 February 2017 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vernon is currently offline  Vernon
Baron
This is amazing. I didn't even know that was possible. Does that mean that you have to have particular appliances that are designed to work with the phone?
Re: Using your phone [message #84613 is a reply to message #84611] Tue, 21 February 2017 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
Vernon wrote on Mon, 20 February 2017 16:30
This is amazing. I didn't even know that was possible. Does that mean that you have to have particular appliances that are designed to work with the phone?
No, but you need a phone with the right hardware. Some of them have the hardware built in to act as remotes for systems. Add the right App (like Universal TV Remote) and instant remote!
Re: Using your phone [message #84626 is a reply to message #82940] Thu, 23 February 2017 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lily is currently offline  Lily
Chancellor
I can totally see how this would work, but would it work as well as an actual remote, or would it be prone to 'bugs' and stuff like that?
Re: Using your phone [message #84628 is a reply to message #82940] Fri, 24 February 2017 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
This is something worth looking into. I could totally use a remote to turn on my laptop. It would be a total time saver in some instances.
Previous Topic: No sound on laptop
Next Topic: Spotting Online Counterfeits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:04:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout