Home » Audio » General » Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting [message #84521] Wed, 08 February 2017 19:00 Go to next message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
When your system just stops working and if it looks like a cable problem, what's the best way to start troubleshooting - especially when you're a bit clueless about which cable goes where?
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84522 is a reply to message #84521] Wed, 08 February 2017 19:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
I wish I could offer better answers but the best I can think of right now is to disconnect it, take out all the cables and re-connect everything all over again.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84528 is a reply to message #84521] Thu, 09 February 2017 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hylo
Baron
If the whole thing's not turning on, check your power. If that doesn't help, then disconnect each component in turn, and see if you can isolate the problem area. If you have some spare good cables, then swap those cables in and if the problem goes away, swap the old ones back one at a time until you've isolated the bad cable. I'm kind of assuming you don't have a cable tester available.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84546 is a reply to message #84521] Fri, 10 February 2017 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
I also had the thought of swapping the cables with new ones one by one. It's the only solution I can think of concerning that particular problem.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84555 is a reply to message #84521] Sat, 11 February 2017 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Buy a cable tester, that's the quickest way. Swapping them into different ports is kind of senseless if something stopped working and you haven't touched the cords since the installation.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84560 is a reply to message #84555] Sat, 11 February 2017 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The first clue is did both channels stop working. If so the it is a piece of equipment that stopped working. If only one channel is not working then try swapping things from right to left and see if the problem moves to the alternate channel when something is swapped. Just do one pair at a time though. For example both input cables from a phono. Both speaker sets. etc If everything stopped working then it may be as simple as a power cord (if it uses detachable ones) being loose or has come off. Possibly a fuse. Also it could be a bad outlet. Try plugging everything into another outlet.

IMO cables seldom fail without giving warning and like I said only in one channel at a time.

Good hunting
Bruce

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84574 is a reply to message #84555] Sun, 12 February 2017 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Silver wrote on Sat, 11 February 2017 09:55
Buy a cable tester, that's the quickest way. Swapping them into different ports is kind of senseless if something stopped working and you haven't touched the cords since the installation.

I have never owned a cable tester and I think this is the right time to get one. It can be frustrating when a system isn't working and one is clueless.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84576 is a reply to message #84521] Sun, 12 February 2017 20:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
Now that I think about it, a cable tester should have been my first idea too. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and that's how I resolved it.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84577 is a reply to message #84521] Sun, 12 February 2017 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gemmel is currently offline  Gemmel
Baron
There are just some tools that you should never be without at home. A cable tester is one of them. It will save you tons of frustration when you're in a situation like this.
Re: Troubleshooting [message #84578 is a reply to message #84521] Sun, 12 February 2017 20:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Ssal is currently offline  Ssal
Viscount
THanks for all your help guys. I managed to find out what the problem was, but in the future, I'm definitely getting a cable tester. Would have saved me lots of time.
Previous Topic: What's the next big thing in audio?
Next Topic: The First film Shot In Stereo
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:51:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout