Home » Audio » General » Spotting Online Counterfeits
Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84419] Fri, 27 January 2017 11:29 Go to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
When you shop for audio equipment online, there is always the chance that you will end up getting a counterfeit product. You think you're buying something with a Sony brand, only to open it up when it gets to you, and you see that it was made by "Sonee".

What are some good ways of spotting a bad purchase like this before you actually purchase it?
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84420 is a reply to message #84419] Fri, 27 January 2017 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
The price is a good place to start. If you see that the price of the product seems a little too cheap, then it's probably a knock off of the real thing.
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84448 is a reply to message #84419] Sun, 29 January 2017 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Any kind of audio on Craig's List you should avoid. The best rule of thumb, if you want to shop online for something like this, is shop on the website version of a brick and mortar store.
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84472 is a reply to message #84419] Thu, 02 February 2017 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
The only thing you can do is all you can ever do to avoid scam really: buy from a known and responsible source, preferably one with a returns policy. The website of a bricks and mortar store is a good one, Amazon's return policy is great, or somewhere well-known recommended and well-established.
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84605 is a reply to message #84420] Sun, 19 February 2017 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
Cortney wrote on Fri, 27 January 2017 12:58
The price is a good place to start. If you see that the price of the product seems a little too cheap, then it's probably a knock off of the real thing.

You just spoke my mind. The thing is, if the price is exaggerated, then there is a high chance that it is counterfeit. If people spent more time, building their own brand, other than modifying another company's name, then we'd probably be in a much better position.
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84607 is a reply to message #84605] Sun, 19 February 2017 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes unusually low price, unknown source and check to see if they take returns and what that policy is. No returns is a bad sign. Always use a credit card. They can fight for you and possibly get a full refund without having to send back the junk.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Spotting Online Counterfeits [message #84646 is a reply to message #84419] Wed, 01 March 2017 21:36 Go to previous message
Flixe
Chancellor
As with anything online you do run the risk of getting a counterfeit product. I can only think of one instance off the top of my head where I received a counterfeit product from shopping online, a pair of decently priced hiking boots, because I do my due diligence when shopping around. For audio equipment/electronics especially, to prevent buying counterfeits you can carefully pay attention to the product page (grammar/spelling mistakes, 404 pages, and broken images are normally bad signs), look at the manufacturers website for their partnered retailers, and of course, if it looks too good to be true... it probably is.
Previous Topic: Using your phone
Next Topic: Best backup programs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:46:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout