Home » Audio » Speaker » Gold vs. Steel or copper connectors
Gold vs. Steel or copper connectors [message #84377] Sun, 22 January 2017 08:47 Go to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
I'm upgrading to a new pair of speakers, but think I'm getting bad advice at the shops. My standard setup uses basic copper connectors, but the shop keeps trying to sell me cables with gold connections (at twice the price). The shop says those will work fine, but I thought connectors needed to be the same metal?
Re: Gold vs. Steel or copper connectors [message #84382 is a reply to message #84377] Sun, 22 January 2017 19:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like gold connectors because they don't oxidize like copper. Copper is a great conductor, so I like it for wire but for mechanical connections, gold is better.

This is also why computer edge connections are almost always gold plated.

Re: Gold vs. Steel or copper connectors [message #84387 is a reply to message #84377] Mon, 23 January 2017 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tadtone is currently offline  Tadtone
Baron
Thanks for the info. I don't have the cash to swap the entire lot right now (it's January and I am feeling broke). Can I actually use gold and copper together for now and upgrade them when I can afford it, without damaging anything?
Re: Gold vs. Steel or copper connectors [message #84388 is a reply to message #84387] Mon, 23 January 2017 09:42 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes.

If I were you, I'd just replace the connectors. Get ones that are gold plated and solder them on.

Previous Topic: Speaker housing & sound quality?
Next Topic: Cost of speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:34:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout