Home » xyzzy » Tower » Why Do We Accept Software that Needs Fixing
Why Do We Accept Software that Needs Fixing [message #84305] Fri, 13 January 2017 17:18 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, What are your thoughts on software that is constantly needing updates. If it wasn't so complicated and trying to be the Swiss Army Knife of all things it might not have to be fixed every week. Rolling Eyes There are a number of programs and operating systems that fit into the fix it all the time group...I won't mention names but about half the time they fix something and create a bigger issue with other programs. Nearly as bad as the bloating effect. I may be dating myself. Shocked ..but I remember when the operating system fit on a single floppy disk. I didn't need an I7 PC with massive RAM and SSD. All this was brought to the top of my bad list as I had to replace my main PC. Fortunately everything was backed up, but the new one went through several hours of updates to a supposed to be current operating system. And then it crashed a couple of the main programs I use all the time and decided it didn't need to talk to all my peripherals. The PC itself is actually just fine (an Alienware Aurora). It works like expected. Just the software is flawed. OK, I'll get off the soap box now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why Do We Accept Software that Needs Fixing [message #84312 is a reply to message #84305] Sat, 14 January 2017 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's not even just software - it's internet connected devices too.

The reason companies do this is to try and be fast out the door, usually fast onto the shelf but sometimes just fast to ass a new feature. They are trying to stay competitive, but I think it often backfires. People get frustrated, just like you've described.

Both you and I are manufacturers. We both know the development lifecycle. We've both been manufacturing since before software/firmware updates through the internet was possible. So to you and I - We are both keenly aware of the necessity of complete testing and device hardening before a product leaves our facilities and gets into the customers hands.

But engineers of the millennial generation don't think this way. They think they can always push features and even bugfixes onto their devices remotely. So they heavily truncate the R&D cycle. That's one reason why so much stuff sucks these days. That and the push for features without much regard for hardening.

Re: Why Do We Accept Software that Needs Fixing [message #84321 is a reply to message #84305] Sun, 15 January 2017 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortney is currently offline  Cortney
Viscount
Well, as long as our societies are money-driven we can expect a lot more of that when it comes to all kinds of different services and products.
Re: Why Do We Accept Software that Needs Fixing [message #84330 is a reply to message #84305] Sun, 15 January 2017 22:06 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
I agree that there's clearly a paradigm shift in the way of thinking and as mentioned, current engineers see things very differently. Those updates are very annoying and the developers should now know better.
Previous Topic: System for teenager's room
Next Topic: Sound goals for the new year
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:57:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout