Home » Audio » Source » Colored Vinyl
Colored Vinyl [message #83849] Wed, 02 November 2016 12:47 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have always wondered, do colored vinyl LP's wear out faster or last longer than the black ones? I'm assuming they are playable although I have never seen anyone put one on their turntable.
Re: Colored Vinyl [message #83852 is a reply to message #83849] Wed, 02 November 2016 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have several and haven't noticed any difference.

I remember the first time I saw them in the 1970s. Even back then, some rumored the vinyl wasn't the same quality as the black vinyl.

I don't know to be honest. What I do know is that natural vinyl is clear but translucent. I also know that carbon black - which is commonly added to vinyl records (and to other products) - is a homogenizing agent. That gives it an advantage, and it's why you see so many black plastic products. But I don't know that other dyes are necessarily better or worse.

Re: Colored Vinyl [message #83864 is a reply to message #83852] Thu, 03 November 2016 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I have several (red, blue and even yellow) and they seem the same for wear to me. I don't notice any differences in noise or static either.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Colored Vinyl [message #84225 is a reply to message #83864] Sat, 31 December 2016 05:40 Go to previous message
Kenzie is currently offline  Kenzie
Chancellor
Same here gofar. I have several red 45's and they seem to be as good as the black ones. I've never seen blue or yellow ones. Only red.
Previous Topic: Recycled vinyl records
Next Topic: Repairing scratched records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:39:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout