Home » Audio » Source » How long do CDs last?
How long do CDs last? [message #83750] Fri, 21 October 2016 02:29 Go to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I tend to think that CDs do not have such a long lifespan, say in comparison to Vinyl. Assuming storage is done well, for how long can a CD record be intact?
Re: How long do CDs last? [message #83784 is a reply to message #83750] Tue, 25 October 2016 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rodial
Chancellor
There have been estimations of up to 200 years for recorded CD-Rs. However, this will obviously vary depending on the raw materials used to manufacture the layers that a CD is comprised of.
Re: How long do CDs last? [message #83839 is a reply to message #83784] Sun, 30 October 2016 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi There was considerable hype on this issue some years back. It seems that some CDs that individuals recorded on cheap disks were not plyaing back well later. I suspect that in addition to the cheap media, their recorders were not so great either. The lifespan of factory disks could be variable, but your disks will probably outlast you and your kids (if you have any). I have been collecting and recording disks from the beginning and none are exhibiting any issues to date. A key to this may be proper storage, not too hot, not too cold, not in direct sunlight and so on. Just like I do with my vinyl collection.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How long do CDs last? [message #83918 is a reply to message #83750] Tue, 08 November 2016 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
I always thought that this had more to do with storage than the quality of the disks themselves. I have few CDs from way back and I have never experienced any issues whatsoever.
Re: How long do CDs last? [message #83978 is a reply to message #83750] Sun, 27 November 2016 05:28 Go to previous message
vhfspeeks is currently offline  vhfspeeks
Viscount
I'm not sure. I have vinyl that my grandparents owned that still plays, but there have been a few CDs that gave up the ghost after a couple of years, despite being stored the same way as the rest of my CD collection. It seems to depend on how well-made the CDs were.
Previous Topic: Do you prefer CDs or vinyl?
Next Topic: 16 RPM?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:44:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout