Home » Audio » Source » Cables with custom length
Cables with custom length [message #83063] Thu, 21 July 2016 05:27 Go to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
Sometimes we need cables longer than what we have or find at the shop, so I've heard that we can build one ourselves to suit our need. Do you do this often?
Re: Cables with custom length [message #83069 is a reply to message #83063] Thu, 21 July 2016 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cwemoy is currently offline  cwemoy
Master
I always do this. There is a day I needed a 3m cable and I went for the exact dimensions. Shock on me when it did not fulfill my need; I had to go for a 5m one. It does not break a bone to buy longer cables.
Re: Cables with custom length [message #83074 is a reply to message #83069] Thu, 21 July 2016 17:14 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes you can make your own cables. All mine are home grown. There are several "schools" of thought on what makes a good cable. I like several brands of wire for interconnects. Mogami W2333 (small diameter) Mogami W2534 Quad Neglex (use two wires for each of the signal + and - and the shield only on one end), and Beldon I believe the number is 8514. For the RCA terminations Switchcraft 3502AAU are my favorites. I'm a bit less fussy on the speaker wires as they are about 18 inches long. I use 12 gauge oxygen free copper wire with generic gold plated spades and banana plugs (solder the spades). It does take a bit of practice to make good cables, but it is worth it as they will easily duplicate the performance of many very costly ones and IMO and according to some folks I trust they can exceed the performance of many name brand high end ones. The Beldon / Switchcraft combo is a giant killer.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Cleaning old records
Next Topic: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 18:21:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers