Home » xyzzy » Tower » Nightlights
Nightlights [message #82874] Wed, 22 June 2016 04:08 Go to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
Do any of you have a nightlight that you plug into the wall socket? Well, how would you like something like this instead?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1900&private=0

That is just too cool. Cool
Re: Nightlights [message #82882 is a reply to message #82874] Wed, 22 June 2016 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
She's a beauty!

Quite an expensive night light I'm sure Laughing
Re: Nightlights [message #82892 is a reply to message #82874] Sat, 25 June 2016 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
That is really interesting. It reminds me of something from the Industrial Revolution. I wonder if there are schematics out there to build something like this? My son would love to have that in his room.
Re: Nightlights [message #82893 is a reply to message #82892] Sat, 25 June 2016 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

This site is largely dedicated to hobbyists that build equipment like that. There are kits from companies like Audio Note and Oddwatt Audio, who is a sponsor of this site. And there are many homebrew builds in the "Group Build" section of this site.

Re: Nightlights [message #82896 is a reply to message #82892] Sat, 25 June 2016 13:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Lizah wrote on Sat, 25 June 2016 09:15
That is really interesting. It reminds me of something from the Industrial Revolution. I wonder if there are schematics out there to build something like this? My son would love to have that in his room.

I believe tubes were the only real source of amplififcation in electronic devices in the early/mid 1900's, before the discovery of transistors.

Like Wayne said, there are schematics and diy kits available out there.

You could search this site or google diy tube amps.

You may want to educate yourself on the typical topologies of tube amplification first, in order to narrow down your search,
although doing this may also confuse you, and discourage you from building a tube amp Laughing .
Re: Nightlights [message #82943 is a reply to message #82874] Mon, 27 June 2016 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
Silver wrote on Wed, 22 June 2016 04:08
Do any of you have a nightlight that you plug into the wall socket? Well, how would you like something like this instead?

index.php?t=getfile&id=1900&private=0

That is just too cool. Cool

This looks really beautiful. I have never thought about nighlights before but now this seems like a good idea. How much would this cost?
Re: Nightlights [message #82956 is a reply to message #82943] Tue, 28 June 2016 20:48 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It looks like some type 811 tubes driven by perhaps EL34s. A stereo single ended class A amp in any case. Based on those guesses ....in assembled form likely to be in the $2000 range. Depending on the actual quality perhaps quite a bit more. Not my personal style though. I much prefer push-pull output stages and less costly components. I figure a p-p pair of reasonable pentodes will outperform a single ended triode design for a lot less money and IMO sound better to boot. YMMV

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Random Making Of Stuff
Next Topic: Watching movies
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 14:47:18 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers