Home » Audio » Source » The Differences Between Vinyl And CD
The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82667] Sun, 22 May 2016 23:53 Go to next message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
Okay.....what would you personally consider the biggest difference between vinyl records and CD's? Is it the type of sound each produces? Is it the physical look? What draws you to one and not the other?
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82668 is a reply to message #82667] Mon, 23 May 2016 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeccaH
Chancellor
Personally I can't hear a difference between them (or between them and an MP3 file), but I know lots of people can. If I had to have all my music in one format or the other, I think it would come down to more practical considerations such as storage space. If all our downloaded music was on vinyl it would be piled from floor to ceiling in every room!
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82669 is a reply to message #82667] Mon, 23 May 2016 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
There is a sound quality difference between the two. Some people like the crackling sound of a vinyl, while others like the crisp, clean sound of a CD. I prefer CDs just because they take up less space and they are easy to take with you.
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82670 is a reply to message #82667] Mon, 23 May 2016 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
decibel 12 is currently offline  decibel 12
Baron
I like the way listening to vinyl kind of forces you to listen to a whole side, in order and without stopping. With CD's all you have to do is push a button to hear another track. They make that easy for you. Vinyl's make it easy to hear a record in the order the producer wanted you to hear it.
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82673 is a reply to message #82668] Mon, 23 May 2016 16:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
BeccaH wrote on Mon, 23 May 2016 03:27
If all our downloaded music was on vinyl it would be piled from floor to ceiling in every room!

Some people dream of that scenario.Laughing Think of all the conversation starters you would have. All the "remember when" conversations over good wine and good friends.
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #82696 is a reply to message #82673] Tue, 24 May 2016 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, An endless discussion....sort of like which do you prefer chocolate or vanilla ice cream? When played on a high quality system both can sound excellent. On low quality systems the clear winner is the CD. That said, I tend to prefer vinyl. The two mediums have what I call a different ambience and flavor. The CD is naturally precise in presentation. It will do what ever the recording engineer wanted it to do. A LP is naturally less precise, but has a more blended surround sound stage. New LPs and well kept older ones can be extremely quiet and on a good system in a blind test most folks would not be able to consistently tell the difference. All that said I do feel that the digital hi-res media will kill the CD and likely the audio DVD. It is quite excellent sounding and will only improve as the technology develops. 32 bit 320K and above recordings can be stunning. Still with all the millions of records out there and the recent trend increasing.... sales of LPs are now at the highest level in nearly 25 years and equipment companies are scrambling to make new turntables (real ones not Crosley types). So it is not likely it will go away. Personally I find it rewarding to play a LP. I don't get the same feeling from stuffing a CD in my OPPO player. YMMV

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: The Differences Between Vinyl And CD [message #83137 is a reply to message #82667] Sat, 30 July 2016 23:21 Go to previous message
moss24 is currently offline  moss24
Viscount
Most people cannot tell the difference but I guess a vinyl is a bit bigger? In terms of quality of audio, I would settle for the vinyl anytime. There has been talk of production of HD vinyls in the next 3 years so. I do not see CDs lasting for long though.
Previous Topic: Cables with custom length
Next Topic: Husband's old vinyl records in the attic
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:50:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout