Home » xyzzy » Tower » Favorite Old Time Musicals (Singing in the Rain)
Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82261] Sun, 20 March 2016 12:53 Go to next message
JillbeQuick is currently offline  JillbeQuick
Chancellor
I have recently gotten in a kick of watching old-timely movies. My favorites seem to be musically oriented. Among those favorites are "Singing In the Rain" and "The Five Pennies". I am interested to hear what your favorites are, and I may check those out as well.

Jack jumped over a candlestick
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82262 is a reply to message #82261] Sun, 20 March 2016 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JuneBug is currently offline  JuneBug
Chancellor
I am a big fan of Hans Christian Anderson. It is a movie starring Danny Kaye as a shoemaker with a knack for telling stories. He sings some of the stories of course. It is a very entertaining movie, and good for children.
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82267 is a reply to message #82261] Mon, 21 March 2016 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JuneBug is currently offline  JuneBug
Chancellor
Thanks you for the suggestion. I love Danny Kaye. I have seen two of his movies so far, and I think I will be adding this one to my collection. The reviews looked good for it.
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82490 is a reply to message #82261] Mon, 25 April 2016 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
minora is currently offline  minora
Baron
It's hard not to love and forget The Sound of Music. Every once in a while I still hear the songs played at various places. Even though one can argue that music is not its main theme, it is inspiring and beautiful at the same time.
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82533 is a reply to message #82261] Fri, 29 April 2016 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugster is currently offline  Bugster
Chancellor
I have fond memories of watching classics like '7 brides for brothers, and Oklahoma, when I stayed with my grandparents. If my grandfather had control of the TV schedule he'd always switch channels to find some kind of western movie or TV series.
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82612 is a reply to message #82261] Wed, 11 May 2016 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BeccaH
Chancellor
I'm on a complete and utter Frank Sinatra/Gene Kelly kick right now, since I saw Anchors Aweigh at Christmas. I'd only ever seen Frank singing as an older man on the occasional TV show, but seeing him as a young guy in this film I absolutely fell in love! Gene Kelly is a real heart-throb too... Very Happy You can really see how much time and effort went into making those old musical movies.
Re: Favorite Old Time Musicals [message #82623 is a reply to message #82261] Sun, 15 May 2016 07:34 Go to previous message
Airforce 3 is currently offline  Airforce 3
Viscount
I like watching them not so much for the music, but for the nostalgic feel of them. The acting was different, the writing was different.......I just like watching the old movies.
Previous Topic: Texas flooding
Next Topic: Cellphone carrier
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:25:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout