Home » Audio » Radio » Local radio station signal
Local radio station signal [message #81857] Wed, 30 December 2015 10:17 Go to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
We have a local radio station right in our hometown that I love listening to. They play all the best music that is really popular right now, but the sound isn't so good. It seems like this station is really quiet compared to the other stations that I listen to. Could this have something to do with the station itself, or do I need to better antenna on my car?
Re: Local radio station signal [message #81881 is a reply to message #81857] Mon, 04 January 2016 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It could be either. Radio stations are rated in various power output. It is part of the licensing for the station. Some are as little as 100 watts (rare and mostly on colleges) and others up to 50,000 watts. Most likely the one you like is in the 5000 watt or lower power range. If other stations come in fine then probably the antenna is OK. Depending on the vehicle it could be a real challenge to replace it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Local radio station signal [message #81891 is a reply to message #81881] Thu, 07 January 2016 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
Thanks for the really detailed information, gofar99. I never knew that there were so many different watts available for broadcasting. I bet since we live in a very small town that you are right and they aren't running at a very high wattage. Plus, I definitely don't want to replace my antenna on my car; it's built into the rear window!
Re: Local radio station signal [message #81899 is a reply to message #81857] Sat, 09 January 2016 18:37 Go to previous message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
If you have a newer car with a built-in antenna, you definitely don't want to replace it if you don't have to. When it comes to antenna replacement, I miss the days of the old screw-off antennas.
Previous Topic: Radio isn't working
Next Topic: Discovering New Stations
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:37:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout