Home » Audio » General » Crackling audio problem
Crackling audio problem [message #81848] Mon, 28 December 2015 13:31 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
I have one of the Roku boxes with the remote that has the headphone jack built in. Lately the audio crackles when you listen via headphones. Is there any way to fix this?
Re: Crackling audio problem [message #81849 is a reply to message #81848] Mon, 28 December 2015 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Lightly jiggle the plug in the jack. Listen to see if the crackling sound seems to be exacerbated by movement.

I suspect it will be. Probably the most common problem that causes this kind of cracking sound is an intermittent headphone connection caused by a damaged connector. When someone yanks on the cord - by accident or by "lazy disconnect" - it can easily damage the connector or the cord.

Re: Crackling audio problem [message #81868 is a reply to message #81849] Fri, 01 January 2016 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
Wayne Parham wrote on Mon, 28 December 2015 14:09

Lightly jiggle the plug in the jack. Listen to see if the crackling sound seems to be exacerbated by movement.

I suspect it will be. Probably the most common problem that causes this kind of cracking sound is an intermittent headphone connection caused by a damaged connector. When someone yanks on the cord - by accident or by "lazy disconnect" - it can easily damage the connector or the cord.

Movement did seem to make it worse, although the problem seems to have resolved itself for the time being. Not sure how that's possible. The night I ran into this problem initially, it seemed the problem was coming more from the remote than the headphones as the crackled continued through two different sets of headphones.
Re: Crackling audio problem [message #81869 is a reply to message #81868] Sat, 02 January 2016 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chase is currently offline  Chase
Baron
I had a similar problem with my Roku remote. It gradually got worse and I had to contact the company for a replacement. I was still under warranty and they replaced it without any problems.
Re: Crackling audio problem [message #82090 is a reply to message #81848] Mon, 22 February 2016 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
This seems to be a typical problem with these remotes. My daughter uses hers this way all the time and it makes the same crackling noise. I wish that wiggling it would take care of hers that way.
Re: Crackling audio problem [message #82093 is a reply to message #82090] Mon, 22 February 2016 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
Hopefully, someone at Roku took note of this weakness in their product. A good company will try to strengthen whatever kind of weak spot one of their products has.
Re: Crackling audio problem [message #82094 is a reply to message #81869] Mon, 22 February 2016 11:35 Go to previous message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Chase wrote on Sat, 02 January 2016 08:17
I had a similar problem with my Roku remote. It gradually got worse and I had to contact the company for a replacement. I was still under warranty and they replaced it without any problems.

For how long is the warranty effective, Chase? I'm having the same problem with my Roku remote (or either it's the earphones that came with it... not sure) and I've only had it since Christmas.
Previous Topic: Headphones With No Sound
Next Topic: Video game console as stereo?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:14:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio