Home » Audio » Home Theater » Reflection in TV
Reflection in TV [message #80851] Tue, 18 November 2014 13:05 Go to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
We have an older model flat screen and whenever you have a light turned on opposite the TV, it reflects in the screen. A friend was telling me that new TVs don't do this. How is that possible?
Re: Reflection in TV [message #80853 is a reply to message #80851] Wed, 19 November 2014 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I have two large screen monitors with flat glass screens. The more expensive one has a matte finish, sort of like it has been bead-blasted slightly rough. The other one has a very smooth finish, like a mirror. The rough one scatters the reflection, making it diffuse. The smooth one doesn't, making a glaring specular "hot-spot" reflection from any light source.

Re: Reflection in TV [message #81000 is a reply to message #80851] Wed, 07 January 2015 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pioneer is currently offline  Pioneer
Viscount
I was wondering how this could be possible, but I never would have thought the solution would be a matte finish to the glass. Does it affect visual quality at all? Do TV, movies, etc., look just as good through a matte finish as they do through a smooth one?
Re: Reflection in TV [message #81815 is a reply to message #80851] Wed, 23 December 2015 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kenwoody is currently offline  Kenwoody
Viscount
This is something I wish I had known before we went TV shopping for a new living room TV. We bought a brand new flat screen after lightning came in on our last TV and thought glare wouldn't be a problem like it was with the last one. Well, it is. Rolling Eyes
Re: Reflection in TV [message #81828 is a reply to message #81000] Thu, 24 December 2015 18:29 Go to previous message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
Pioneer wrote on Wed, 07 January 2015 17:57
I was wondering how this could be possible, but I never would have thought the solution would be a matte finish to the glass. Does it affect visual quality at all? Do TV, movies, etc., look just as good through a matte finish as they do through a smooth one?

Supposedly,
The matte finish is less bright, if all else is equal.

A trick to reducing reflections is to mount the panel tilting downward (out more into the room) at the top of the panel, than at the bottom.

I've had luck placing my flat screen with a high gloss glass screen, against the wall with the most Windows , if there are any.

Try not to let too much ambient (or direct) light exist out in front of the screen.

Easier said than done if not in a dedicated home theater.
Previous Topic: So excited! New house
Next Topic: Theater system shopping
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:18:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout