Home » Audio » General » Need Help Phonograph Problem (expert advice from the gurus)
Need Help Phonograph Problem [message #81745] Thu, 17 December 2015 18:06 Go to next message
sporty1000 is currently offline  sporty1000
Esquire
Hi all, I have been out of the audio world for 30 years or so. Last I remember, Polk was a pretty new company and we were all buying Magneplanar speakers and VMPS subs. Well I got one of the low-end retro looking radio/phonograph/cassette combos that looks like a 1940s radio. Well I shipped it to a buyer and all arrived well until she played it. It plays LPs fine if you start at track 2 or 3. Lowering the needle on track 1, it stops turning and shuts off. Raise and lower on 2 or 3 and all well. 45s will be tried next but is there some easy fix that could have come loose in shipping. Sounds like some type of switch that gets tripped when it lowers on track 1. I have an mp4 of the event. Please, any help? Anyone know enough about turntables who may have an answer? I am no longer where the phono is so have to relay the info as I can open them up and figure things out usually. Is something there that could get knocked loose? THANKS a million
Re: Need Help Phonograph Problem [message #81756 is a reply to message #81745] Fri, 18 December 2015 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I hate to say it but I'd probably not use a questionable turntable. You can still buy turntables, but most vinyl record albums are irreplaceable. Some vinyl albums are available for sale, but most aren't. So I wouldn't risk losing them by playing them on a cheap turntable.

Re: Need Help Phonograph Problem [message #81759 is a reply to message #81756] Fri, 18 December 2015 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks, you are right, but this one was bought as a gift already and after shipping it has this problem and I really need help so it plays records normally. If anyone knows of anything that would work it will maky someones day.
Re: Need Help Phonograph Problem [message #81781 is a reply to message #81759] Sat, 19 December 2015 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I hate to be the bringer of bad news ...but that thing is worse than the cheap players from 40 years ago. Regardless..the auto stop mechanism is probably activating and causing the issue. It is unlikely that an inexperienced user will be able to fix it. My suggestion is to get it back and return it as defective. It should not malfunction just because it was shipped. For perhaps more specific guidance you might post the question on the vinylengine forum. Lots of expertise there.

BTW, vinyl is surprisingly making a major revival. More turntables were sold last year (this years data is not in yet) by major makers (not companies like the one that made yours) than any year since 1998. Better still more new LPs were pressed than any year since 2000. Why...has everyone speculating but I don't mind. I have 5 operational turntables and several humdred LPs many pressed within the last two years. CDs however are dying. Digital may be the eventual way to go but IMO it still has not convinced me to keep my music library on someone elses cloud.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Need Help Phonograph Problem [message #81782 is a reply to message #81781] Sat, 19 December 2015 22:22 Go to previous message
Esquire
Thanks for the help...I cant take it back, I sold it on Ebay and the buyer now has the problem. It didnt do it before it was shipped as I test played a record. Would that autostop only activate on track 1 of an lp and not on 2 and higher? Thats what is strange, as lowering the needle on track 1 makes it stop immediately but raising it restarts the drive and lowering on track 2 plays. Strange. The autostop has to have a trigger or switch that activates it, like at the end of a record....but how would it get activated on track 1? If it was here, I would be able to fix anything replaceable or adjustable, but I have to pass the word on to the buyer and let her know if it is fixable.
Previous Topic: Free music downloads
Next Topic: My Ears!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:39:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout