Home » Audio » Speaker » Mono "flanking sub"
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81703 is a reply to message #81698] Tue, 01 December 2015 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
jonone wrote on Tue, 01 December 2015 17:05
Hi,I haven't tried flanking the mains with two, as I only have the "midbass" at the moment and my sub driver is not built yet.
They are quite different drivers so not the best match to make a stereo pair, I also don't have the space (or wife approval)to put the pair up front "flanking".
I don't seem to really suffer from smearing of the stereo image, and it's definitely not localisable on the same plane as the mains.
The driver is a very clean and can play up to 1khz off axis, my old sub that was regarded as "clean" would sound awful at 150hz, I personally think you need a different type of driver for flanking/helper woofers compared to distributed subs. Something to think about with your own system?

Your situation sounds very similar to mine, as far as
space for the two front subs, and the waf!

However, your sub sounds quite the opposite of mine.
Mine sounds very muddy and bloated, even crossed at 100hZ.
As I have said, it is a passive radiator design, with a 4db boost at 25hZ from the plate amp.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/subwoofer-speaker-kits/scan-speak-discovery-30w-12-subwoofer-kit-with-passive-radiator/

This feature is pretty neat while watching movies but-

This boost in the amp gives me the impression it is more of a distant sub/home theater design, than it is a hifi helper woofer design, with clean, even response.??

I agree with you that I would need a different type of sub (subs) for the "flanking" configuration.
When I finish my basement, I will relocate my system down there, in which case I will have enough space, and freedom from the wife, to use/build two flanking subs Smile

Actually, I'm looking to buy two 3pi sub kits from Wayne.
I would like to know what plate amps he might recommend with them. My hunch is that no more than 200watts per sub would be required?

Also, Id better not show any pics of the room they'll be going in.
If members here see the two opposite corners with no doors or windows, Ill be forced to build the 7pi's! Laughing

Regards!.
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81705 is a reply to message #81703] Wed, 02 December 2015 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonone is currently offline  jonone
Viscount
This is my driver : http://www.aespeakers.com/drivers.php?driver_id=74
Even though scanspeak make great drivers, passive radiators can be notoriously boomy.
From my experience control over though cone is less boomy, so you want a big motor/magnet.
I would have thought you want more of a pro style driver for flanking subs, with low distortion, lighter cone and lower xmax which can play cleanly into the midrange.
Subs tend to have heavier cones and high xmax but higher distortion figures generally.
I would go with what Wayne recommends.
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81706 is a reply to message #81705] Wed, 02 December 2015 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
Agreed.
Hence why I plan to build two of the 3pi subs.

I belive they are all of what you describe, compared to my existing sub.
Larger magnet/voice coil, lighter cone and such.

Regards!
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81707 is a reply to message #81706] Wed, 02 December 2015 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
If that's what Wayne suggests, I'm sure there be perfect! Cool
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81716 is a reply to message #81707] Sat, 05 December 2015 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Finally put the amp in the cab for my sub, just got to wait for the driver now! Sad
Here's a few shots of the room, bare in mind it's a small "English" room, not like in the states! Very Happy

index.php?t=getfile&id=1855&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1856&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1857&private=0

Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81717 is a reply to message #81624] Sat, 05 December 2015 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
That ought to do it man. Smile

It should certainly help even things out in your room. Your room looks to be a decent size.
If I understand correctly, smaller rooms benefit from multiple subs more so than larger ones.

Regards!
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #81719 is a reply to message #81717] Sun, 06 December 2015 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Yes smaller room are worse for modes I beleive.
Jon
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #82993 is a reply to message #81624] Thu, 14 July 2016 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Hi Wayne, do you have any opinion on which way a woofer should face for flanking subs, should they face forward? I've seen others mention firing towards to the sidewalls, or is it just a case of which measures best or do they sound best facing forward because of the frequency range they play up to?

I'm thinking of ordering a matching woofer so in the future so I can run a true flanking sub setup with a stereo pair, at the moment my single woofer is downfiring because of children, so I was wondering wether to make them forward firing for the future or I could have them both down firing.
Thanks.
Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #82995 is a reply to message #82993] Thu, 14 July 2016 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always face mine forward. But at the frequency they're used, orientation doesn't matter much. They're run high for subs, but still low enough that shading isn't an issue except for very large objects like walls.

Re: Mono "flanking sub" [message #82998 is a reply to message #81624] Thu, 14 July 2016 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Thanks Wayne, they will be aimed at a concrete floor, does that not act the same as a wall?
Do you think there will be a measurable effect in the <200hz area by adding a second?.
Jon
Previous Topic: Interconnect cables
Next Topic: Class d for flanking subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:57:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers