Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 Pi Build Progress
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81524 is a reply to message #81523] Fri, 07 August 2015 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BobTahoe is currently offline  BobTahoe
Baron
Well the paint on the 4pis isn't perfect but should be pretty good after a wet sand.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1789&private=0

Just need to finish installing the hurricane nuts for the woofers and put in the binding posts.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81525 is a reply to message #81524] Sat, 08 August 2015 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

They look great!

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81564 is a reply to message #81525] Tue, 01 September 2015 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Painting is coming out better this time third times the charm.

I have finished and moved one 4pi to the living room to make sure I like the look of it. It's not perfect but it's 100x better then the first 2 rounds of paint, good enough to live with at this point.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1804&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1802&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1803&private=0

The 4 Pi's will most likely sit on top of my 3Pi subs for a while until I build stands for them. All in all I think they've turned out pretty well and I think I like the gray.

Now to finish painting the last 2, then I can redo the r13 inside since it's all covered in Paint at this point.

I started getting everything setup to test my JBL woofers, hopefully they are turn out fine either way I'll post the results here.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81565 is a reply to message #81564] Tue, 01 September 2015 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those cabinets look great!

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81566 is a reply to message #81565] Fri, 04 September 2015 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Got the rest of the 4pi's painted only a bit of overspray and some dust to clean up but all in all the look pretty good.

I picked up some Foam gasket tape for the speakers and waveguides. Will this also be ok for the cross over? Could I just mount the cross over on cork? or with a bead of silicon under it?

Only other thing to do is to test my 2226h's this weekend just to make sure they are original cones as was descried when I purchased them. Was going to do it outdoors but it's been so windy lately the noise from all the trees and everything has been too much. I might try and indoor test hopefully it will yield ok results.

Should have this all finished up soon just waiting on my delivery from Wayne Very Happy .
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81567 is a reply to message #81566] Fri, 04 September 2015 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use just about anything as a gasket under the crossover PCB. I personally use PVC liner, like what contractors put underneath shower tile. But you can use a sheet of cardboard, foam or pretty much anything that acts as a cushion. All we want to do is to prevent vibration.

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81574 is a reply to message #81567] Sat, 12 September 2015 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I think finally the paint on the 4pis is acceptable. My wife agrees which is good since they'll be in the living room.

Still need to redo the r13 and put in the binding posts. Rest of the parts should be here next week!!

index.php?t=getfile&id=1818&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1819&private=0

Glossy paint is the enemy, I'm not even sure I really won the battle here, but I've at least accepted a truce.

The 3 Pi's got cleaned up and a fresh coat of paint, I need to add the binding posts and hurricane nuts to them still. Does anyone know if the Lab12 shares the same screw hold pattern as the delta-12LF? I have of the deltas laying around I could use to measure the holes for the hurricane nuts or I could just wait until the Lab 12's get here.

Now I still have to run the wires for the 3pis.
Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81575 is a reply to message #81574] Sat, 12 September 2015 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
BobTahoe wrote on Sat, 12 September 2015 18:05
Glossy paint is the enemy...

Good job on a formidable challenge, they look great! Can't wait to hear your listening impressions.

Myself...everything I have control over gets light color/satin/matte finishes. I am lazy LOL Confused .

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81576 is a reply to message #81575] Mon, 14 September 2015 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, those look great!

Re: 4 Pi Build Progress [message #81582 is a reply to message #81462] Mon, 21 September 2015 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Finally Finished!!!

Last photo before buttoning them all up:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1820&private=0

Here's they are in room finished!

index.php?t=getfile&id=1821&private=0

As you can see my old speakers are currently being used as stands.

I'll post more on sound later, but these are by far the best speakers I've ever heard in a living room. I've watched a few Blu-Rays of Live shows from Umphrey's McGee (check them out) and I can honestly say it sounds better in my living room then it did when I was there. They are extremely easy to listen too. They play details extremely well. I'm very happy.

My 3pi's aren't getting full power yet waiting on one more thing so I can hook up the pro audio amp I picked up to power them. Then I'll post some measurements.

Thank you Wayne for all the work you do.
Previous Topic: Just Loaded in 4 Pis
Next Topic: Implementation
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:09:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout