Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Stand Base
4pi Stand Base [message #81542] Fri, 21 August 2015 17:54 Go to next message
rvsixer is currently offline  rvsixer
Baron
Okay I have searched, and have found plenty on recommended stand height/tilt (I think I will be going with 15" and 3 degrees).

But I did not find what might be the minimum sufficient stand base size, that still provides adequate stability. The smaller I can make the base, the more I can move my right speaker over a 4" high riser that interferes with my room setup.

Re: 4pi Stand Base [message #81544 is a reply to message #81542] Sun, 23 August 2015 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Stands should be 12" to 15" with 3° to 7° setback angle.

As for the construction of the stand, that is really up to you. It depends mostly on materials and taste. A metal stand can be made with very thin tubular and still be structurally adequate. Wood stands need to be a little larger.

I like having two flat surfaces, each nearly as large as the bottom of the speaker cabinet, one for the stand base and one for the perch. Those are separated by a wood post that is actually a hollow "tube" made of 1/2" to 5/8" stock that's about 4" x 4" x 12".

Re: 4pi Stand Base [message #81546 is a reply to message #81544] Sun, 23 August 2015 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks Wayne again for the input. I was thinking the base would have to be nearly as large as the speaker bottom for stability.

I've attached a pic of the problem area. The current speaker is 11" wide, the 4pi is 18.5" wide (and will have greater toe-in). I cannot move my entire setup over to the left to accommodate (stairway opening on the other side), so some portion of the 4pi has to sit on the raised floor.

I think I have come up with a solution. Basically a platform the same size as the speaker bottom, with four legs on each corner extending downward. One rear leg will be 4" shorter and sit on the raised floor, problem solved.

Any other possible solution anyone sees most welcomed.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1799&private=0

• Attachment: riser10.jpg
    (Size: 254.93KB, Downloaded 2172 times)
Re: 4pi Stand Base [message #81551 is a reply to message #81542] Mon, 24 August 2015 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BobTahoe is currently offline  BobTahoe
Baron
could you make the base of the stand a triangle and make it work so the edge of it is flush against the tile while part of the speaker above the stand over hangs the tile?

You'd have to make it the exact angle you want them toed in at but it might work.

Option 2 hang them from the ceiling? I've half jokingly considered something like this.
Re: 4pi Stand Base [message #81552 is a reply to message #81551] Mon, 24 August 2015 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yes that could work (I thought of something similar, but using two legs in front and one in back). But I think the four leg solution would provide greater right/left position and toe-in flexibility.

Option 2 where do you put the flanking subs LOL Very Happy ? Anxiously awaiting an update to your build thread!

Re: 4pi Stand Base [message #81553 is a reply to message #81542] Mon, 24 August 2015 16:45 Go to previous message
BobTahoe is currently offline  BobTahoe
Baron
Option 2: subs in the floor of course...

Oh the build, Paint is kicking my @$$, it's my fault I picked a glossy paint and pretty much everything that could go wrong did go wrong. In other words i'm stuck in wet sanding hell. Which is ok since the rest of my parts are on order with Wayne and it looks like I'll have everything some time in early September. If I had everything already I most likely would have stopped at bare MDF, and started using them until my wife made me finish them.

I'll post a few more pics this evening there's been some small progress.
Previous Topic: Flanking subs also pulling LFE duty
Next Topic: 4Pi plan
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:06:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout