Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » amp hizzz
amp hizzz [message #8147] Tue, 06 April 2004 15:58 Go to next message
jim denton is currently offline  jim denton
Master
Whats the trick to making my amp quiet---I'd like to get rid of this hissy noise---is that replacing cap??? Jim

Re: amp hizzz [message #8148 is a reply to message #8147] Tue, 06 April 2004 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Certain amp topologies that maximize gain have poor S/N.

Re: amp hizzz [message #8149 is a reply to message #8147] Fri, 09 April 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
Any luck replacing those caps?

Re: amp hizzz [message #8150 is a reply to message #8147] Mon, 12 April 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Jim, there are several causes of excess hiss. Two of the most notable culprits are old carbon composition plate load resistors that have became noisy with time (in older amps), and faulty SS rectifier diodes. I've seen diodes produce so much white noise that it became louder than the music! What's funny is that they'll still work..........

The noise from old CC plate load resistors is low level, with intermittent fizzing and crackling. The noise from diodes is a constant level.

Thermionic

Re: amp hizzz [message #8151 is a reply to message #8150] Mon, 12 April 2004 18:19 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)
That's good advice. I agree with you - Resistors, transistors and diodes are more likely to cause white noise than capacitors. A bad PS cap will cause hum, but hiss is more likely from a semiconductor.

I don't think Jim has any semiconductor diodes in his amp, but he definitely has resistors. I've seen lots of old gear with cracked potentiometer substrates, and they'll make noise too. It crackles when you rotate the knob and cleaning doesn't help. The resistance changes through warm-up, it makes and breaks connection and causes a lot of noise. So I agree with you about resistors, both fixed and variable.

I'd look there before I'd look at caps, which normally fail open or get lossy. Neither condition usually makes the symptoms Jim described. Might look at mechanical connections too, like tube sockets, switches, potentiometers and what-not.

Previous Topic: Saturday meeting
Next Topic: more questions than answers
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 05:01:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout